Search Me!


Thursday, August 19, 2010

Captured By Desire by Kira Morgan

Captured by DesirePublisher: Forever
ISBN: 0446548189
Pages: 384 pgs
Genre: Romance-Historical-Scotland
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge,100+ Reading Challenge

 Summary (from publisher):
In 16th century Scotland, young Miss Florie Gilder runs away from her drunken foster father to find her real father and her noble heritage. Along the way, she is accused of theft, becomes a fugitive hiding in a forest, and is accidentally wounded by a handsome local huntsman. The huntsman--a Robin-Hood figure who poaches wild game from the landowner's estate to feed the starving poor--carries the beautiful maiden to a church where she is guaranteed 40 days of sanctuary from the law. During that time, he learns her true story, falls in love with her, and helps her in her quest, at the risk of his own life. Smitten with him, she worries more for his survival. But enemies of the state are seeking to overturn the Catholic royals, while a vicious noblewoman is out to destroy Florie.
My Review:
Florie Gilder is a celebrated goldsmith. She also happens to be a fugitive from the law seeking shelter from the Church. She is discovered i.e. shot like a hunter shoots a deer by Rane MacAllister. He also happens to work for the people trying to catch Florie and is put in charge of preventing Florie from escaping. Rane is used to women being charmed by him and is not expecting the headstrong and somewhat volatile Florie.

Florie was one of those unique heroines that did not annoy me very much at all. Very strange statement to make but I usually get quite annoyed by most female characters and it usually is the mark of a really great book when I don’t. Florie was one of those that did not annoy me at all. She was fiery, stubborn and strong yet vulnerable. Rane was also quite the interesting character. I am used to rakes. Of course I am. I am a regency romance addict. Rane’s type of rakishness was quite unique. He was kind, compassionate and gentle even though he was a bit of a manwhore. Most of the rakes I have come across are bad-tempered, broody, and brash. He was a complete departure from what I am used to.

Captured By Desire was initially very appealing to me because I loved the premise upon which it was built. Both the Robin Hood and the taking shelter plots were very appealing. Rane made a very convincing Robin Hood type character. Most surprising to me is how much I loved the role that the Church played in this book. The idea of the Church playing protector was really appealing to me. I have had quite the different experience when it comes to the Church. Also, if I had ever met a priest as kind, charitable and doddingly adorable as Father Conan, I probably would have been a better Catholic.

I have very rarely been able to start a book and finish it in an hour. I get distracted very easily but I was able to finish this book within an hour with no bored moments whatsoever. The writing was engaging and the plot was well-crafted. I highly recommend Captured By Desire and I am looking forward to more from Kira Morgan.
*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.


  1. I won a giveaway of an ARC but haven't read it yet. Your review just made me move it up the TBR list :)

  2. Yeah! I hope you enjoy it. Send me a link if you review it. I would love to know what you think :)



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio