Search Me!

Loading...

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Emma and the Vampires by Wayne Josephson

Emma and the Vampires (Jane Austen Undead Novels)

Publisher: Sourcebooks Landmark
ISBN: 1402241348
Pages: 304 pgs
Genre: Jane Austen Adaptation-Paranormal, Emma
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge
Rating: 

     
     
    Summary (from Publisher):

    What better place than pale England to hide a secret society of gentlemen vampires?

    In this hilarious retelling of Jane Austen's Emma, screenwriter Wayne Josephson casts Mr. Knightley as one of the most handsome and noble of the gentlemen village vampires. Blithely unaware of their presence, Emma, who imagines she has a special gift for matchmaking, attempts to arrange the affairs of her social circle with delightfully disastrous results. But when her dear friend Harriet Smith declares her love for Mr. Knightley, Emma realizes she's the one who wants to stay up all night with him. Fortunately, Mr. Knightley has been hiding a secret deep within his unbeating heart-his (literal) undying love for her... A brilliant mash-up of Jane Austen and the undead.
    My Review:

    Jane Austen’s Emma remains the same in Emma and the Vampires aside from the vampires and the vampire slaying, of course. Emma Woodhouse is still our matchmaking heroine but she wears a stake under her skirts and is ready to slay a rogue vampire at a moments notice. Mr. Knightley is the same scolding hero but he is allergic to sunlight and has a very special diet. Nothing much has changed but yet everything kinda has and it is mindbogglingly awesome.


    I was amazed by how much I liked this book. I avoid these paranormal adaptations of Jane Austen and other classics more stubbornly than I have ever avoided anything in my life.I have even had a couple in my hand to buy at the bookstore but turned around and changed my mind. In my mind, they could never make any sense because “Jane would never do that” and “it would never work.” This is from the person who reads Austen adaptations compulsively. It makes no sense but these books seemed to be where I drew the line. I am beginning to think that I may have been completely wrong. Emma and the Vampires was preposterous and ridiculous but it was fun and it did give me a good hour or two of good old reading fun as well as immense amounts of laughter and snickering.

    The one thing that kept going through my mind while I was reading was “Is everyone in this book a moron?” They were all so oblivious. How did Emma not realize that Mr. Elton was a vampire? I’m not even sure that she realized that any of the men in her circle were vampires. Really…I mean it…I’m not sure. I mean she obviously knew what vampires were and how they acted but it seemed to escape her comprehension that people in her circle could be vampires too. I think it illustrated very well the point that Emma is very unable to see beyond her own perceptions. Emma herself is where most of the funny comes from. Emma was such a blockhead most of the time  (in both this book and in the novel) that it is hard not to laugh at her.

    Overall, this book surprised me on a level that I was not expecting. I was giggling throughout and found myself really engrossed. It might be enough to make me go out and buy other adaptations like it (except for Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters…that’s beyond me).

    *A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.
    mysig



    3 comments:

    1. I think I'm going to give this one a go. Sounds like fun. I agree with you about S&S and Sea Monsters. I didn't get the joke.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Me either. I had the image of my handsome Colonel Brandon as Davy Jones from Pirates of the Caribbean and put the book down and ran away.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Me either. I had the image of my handsome Colonel Brandon as Davy Jones from Pirates of the Caribbean and put the book down and ran away.

      ReplyDelete

     

    Blog Template by In Between Design Studio