Search Me!


Tuesday, August 31, 2010

To Conquer Mr. Darcy by Abigail Reynolds

To Conquer Mr. Darcy

Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
ISBN: 1402237308
Pages: 416 pgs
Genre: Romance/Regency/Jane Austen
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge
    Summary (from Publisher):
    What if...
    Instead of disappearing from Elizabeth Bennet's life after she refused his offer of marriage, Mr. Darcy had stayed and tried to change her mind?
    What if...
    Lizzy, as she gets to know Darcy, finds him undeniably attractive and her impulses win out over her sense of propriety?
    What if...
    Madly in love and mutually on fire, their passion anticipates their wedding?
    In To Conquer Mr. Darcy, instead of avoiding Elizabeth after his ill-fated marriage proposal, Mr. Darcy follows her back to Hertfordshire to prove to her he is a changed man and worthy of her love. And little by little, Elizabeth begins to find the man she thought she despised, irresistible...
    My Review:
    Abigail Reynolds is my favorite Jane Austen adaptation author. There! I’ve said it. I have loved many others but none as much as Abigail Reynolds. Her books have something special about them that make me want to savor them and read them slowly. To Conquer Mr. Darcy was one of them. I did not want to read it in one sitting even though that is exactly what I ended up doing.

    My favorite part of Abigail Reynolds’ books is that the changes she makes to the Pride and Prejudice story are subtle but have huge impact. In To Conquer Mr. Darcy, Mr. Darcy does not give up when Elizabeth rejects him but, instead, her pursues her. That simple change set off a domino effect that changed the whole framework of the story we already know and love and only makes us love it more. I think that is so amazing about Abigail Reynolds is her ability to find the other road in Pride and Prejudice and take us on a leisurely stroll towards greener, slightly more spicy pastures.

    I also love how Abigail Reynolds captures Elizabeth and Darcy. They are the same Lizzy and Darcy from Pride and Prejudice. They are witty and they have the same magnetic chemistry. Reynolds keeps them true to Jane Austen but adds a little to both of their characters. I also love that we get to see Lizzy and Darcy together. Their chemistry is palpable and their wit when combined is amazing. We also got to see much more of Georgiana. I love her and I usually have no idea why. I mean, we barely hear from her in Pride and Prejudice but I feel like I really got to know her in this one.

    I loved this book. The word love is pretty mild when considering how awesome this book was. Every Jane Austen fan should pick this one up. I must warn, however, that To Conquer Mr. Darcy was previously released as Impulse & Initiative and I am not sure how much was edited or changed.
    *A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment


    Blog Template by In Between Design Studio