Search Me!


Thursday, September 30, 2010

For the King's Favor by Elizabeth Chadwick

For the King's FavorPublisher: Sourcebooks Landmark
ISBN: 1402244495
Pages: 544 pgs
Genre: Historical Fiction/England
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge

Summary from Publisher:
A Bittersweet Tale of Love, Loss, and the Power of Royalty

When Roger Bigod arrives at King Henry II's court to settle a bitter inheritance dispute, he becomes enchanted with Ida de Tosney, young mistress to the powerful king. A victim of Henry's seduction and the mother of his son, Ida sees in Roger a chance to begin a new life. But Ida pays an agonizing price when she leaves the king, and as Roger's importance grows and he gains an earldom, their marriage comes under increasing strain. Based on the true story of a royal mistress and the young lord she chose to marry, For the King's Favor is Elizabeth Chadwick at her best.

My Review:
I love big and bulky historical fiction novels. It's the history major in me that loved to buy huge history textbooks for fun. I was really looking forward to this one. I have heard many great things about Elizabeth Chadwick's books and could not wait to get started with this one. I was not disappointed.

I knew next to nothing about Roger Bigod and Ida de Tosney before I read this book. I knew that I had passed over their names in a history book once upon a time but didn't actually know anything about them.  I loved reading about both Roger and Ida. They were so well developed and interesting. I thought they had terrific chemistry together as characters. I am interested in doing more research about them.

It is a very rare historical fiction novel where I think that the characters and time period are portrayed perfectly. This is one of them. This is not one of my favorite historical periods but I really loved all of the little details that Chadwick included about the food, the clothing and the lifestyle of the 1100s. It really helped you feel that you were a part of that time period. I also loved that the language was not straight out of a history textbook. It was conversational and engaging. I can't stand historical fiction novels that sound too clinical or factoid vomit.

I loved this book. It brought to life historical people that I knew nothing about and created an almost obsession for me. I can't wait to pick up the rest of Elizabeth Chadwick's books.

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Blog Template by In Between Design Studio