Search Me!


Saturday, September 18, 2010

McKettricks of Texas: Garrett by Linda Lael Miller

McKettricks of Texas: Garrett (Hqn)
Publisher:HQN Books
ISBN: 0373774419
Pages: 384 pgs
Genre: Romance/Western/Contemporary
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge

Summary from Publisher:
Fast track up the political ladder, fast cars, fast women—that's Garrett McKettrick. Make that was. A scandal has brought him home to Blue River, Texas, a place where a man can slow down, take stock and plan his next move. Which doesn't include staying at the family ranch with his brothers. A city boy, Garrett doesn't think he has the land in his blood.

But Blue River has other attractions, like his former high school nemesis, Julie Remington. Now a striking woman, Julie comes complete with a four-year-old cowboy, a three-legged beagle and deep ties to the community. Good thing they have nothing in common…except their undeniable attraction and a future brighter than the Texas sun.

My Review:
I love westerns. I have no idea why I have not reviewed more of them because I read many. I prefer my westerns to be historicals but a contemporary western was a nice change. Either way, I love Linda Lael Miller as a rule, so, I was excited to pick this one up. It also served well as my main distraction during a long day at the hospital.

I loved both Garrett and Julie. Garrett had everything all set for him to be a politician. He had a mentor in a powerful senator and all doors seemed to be opened for him until his mentor descended into a midlife crisis from Hades which ended up derailing both his and Garrett’s career. Julie is a single mother and  a high school teacher occupying the main guest suite while her house is being fumigated. I love how they both have issues holding them back from the relationship. Garrett has his ambitions and Julie has her insecurity. My favorite character was Calvin, Julie’s five year old son. He was adorable. He was such a bright and intelligent child. The father/son/cool uncles  relationship Calvin formed with Garrett and his two brothers was adorable. I would have picked up this book for that alone.

I really loved that the romance between Julie and Garrett was not the sole focus of the book. Julie has to learn how to mitigate her life as a single mother and high school teacher. She also has to learn to get past her insecurities. Garrett had to contend with his political ambitions and the conflict with his family. Both characters had such well-defined lives apart from their journey as a couple. It really added something special to the book. I have the rest of the series somewhere in my romance collection and I think I must read them.

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Blog Template by In Between Design Studio