Search Me!

Loading...

Friday, September 17, 2010

Never A Bride by Amelia Grey

Never a BridePublisher:Sourcebooks Casablanca
ISBN: 1402239785
Pages: 384 pgs
Genre: Romance/Historical/Regency
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge
Rating: 





Summary from Publisher:


Her name is on everyone's lips...
When he left for America six years ago, the handsome Viscount Stonehurst never suspected that he would return home to England to find his lovely fiancée embroiled in the scandal of the decade. The woman he planned on making his wife has been kissing every man in London...except him!

But scandal doesn't matter in search of the truth...
Engaged and then abandoned, Mirabella Wittingham is determined to find the man who drove her cousin to suicide, even if it means ruining her reputation and disgracing herself in the process...When her plans go awry, Mirabella has no choice but to turn to her long-lost fiancé for help. But can she trust the man who deserted her so many years ago, or is he destined to fail her yet again?

My Review:

Whenever I pick up a regency, I just feel better about life for some reason. They are the old dependables. I know I will like them and it is the very rare regency that disappoints and Never A Bride definitely did not disappoint at all.

Mirabella was one of those heroines that either firmly encamps on the "I love her so much that I want to strangle her" side or on your "She is so obnoxious. I want to smother her with a down pillow' side. I decided to love her. It was easy. She was naughty and misbehaved but she had the best intentions. On the other hand, Camden was a bit of a paradox. If he had no trouble leaving his fiance alone for so long, why did he have trouble marrying her when he returned and her reputation was less than newborn shiny? It seemed rather contradictory of him. He wasn't exactly angelic when he was away, was he? Nope. Typical double standard.

I loved everything about this book. The characters, the humor, the fake engagement, the tension. Everything. The only thing that would have made it better would have been a marriage of convenience...and that would have only been improving on almost perfection. Amelia Grey can always be counted on to write a good novel but this one was my favorite. It's a regency, of course, which puts it close to the top immediately but her writing in this one was spectacular. The humor was always funny but not slapstick or over-the-top.  It was done with a light hand that was kind of reminiscent of my favorite lady of all time, Jane Austen. The scene in the gentleman's club is something to look forward to if you are looking for a good chuckle.
*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear you liked this one...it sounds really good! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really good. I will have to add it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good review. sounds like a fun read!

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio