Search Me!

Loading...

Sunday, September 19, 2010

A Note From An Old Acquaintance by Bill Walker

A Note From An Old AcquaintancePublisher:iUniverse
ISBN: 1440133336
Pages: 360 pgs
Genre: Romance/Contemporary
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge
Rating: 





Summary from Publisher:
Brian Weller is a haunted man. It's been two years since the tragic accident that left his three-year-old son dead and his wife in an irreversible coma. A popular author of mega- selling thrillers, Brian's life has reached a crossroads: his new book is stalled, his wife's prognosis is dire, and he teeters on the brink of despair. Everything changes the morning an e- mail arrives from Boston artist Joanna Richman. Her heartfelt note brings back all the poignant memories: the night their eyes met, the fiery passion of their short- lived affair, and the agonizing moment he was forced to leave Joanna forever. Now, fifteen years later, the guilt and anger threaten to overwhelm him. Vowing to make things right, Brian arranges a book- signing tour that will take him back to Boston. He is eager to see Joanna again, but remains unsure where their reunion will lead. One thing is certain: the forces that tore their love asunder will stop at nothing to keep them apart. Filled with tender romance and taut suspense, A Note from an Old Acquaintance is an unforgettable story about fate, honor, and the power of true love.

My Review:
I wasn't sure what to expect when I started this book. Romance novels written by men are not an everyday occurrence for me. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I loved this book.

I am totally cynical when it comes to love and relationships. I am a firm believer that nothing works out well but this one gave me a firm shake of optimistic feelings. I read many romance novels but none have ever been able to make me feel any better about relationships like this one did. It was a pleasant change. I also loved both Brian and Joanna. There relationship was the main attraction to this book. Their story was so compelling and interesting.

Most of the time when a novel jumps time periods, I end up hating the book. It usually makes the narrative feel disjointed to me. With A Note From An Old Acquaintance, the shifting time periods work really well. The narrative flows really well and adds so much to the story. I also love that even though the story is told in a third person point of view, we get the perspective from each character. I did think that some of the plot was a tiny bit predictable but the relationship between Brian and Joanna more than made up for that.

I was impressed by this book on a surprising level. The writing was strong, the plot had twists and turns, and the characters were well-drawn. I highly recommend.
*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.

7 comments:

  1. Great review! I am not much of a romance reader but this sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. I reviewed this a few months back. I liked it.
    http://becksbookpicks.blogspot.com/2010/08/book-tour-bill-walkers-note-from-old.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace: Just wanted to thank you for your kind review. It is very much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review!! I read this book back in February and loved it. Bill Walker is on my list for debut authors and am now a fan. Am a new follower and look forward to your future postings. I can be found here
    CMash

    ReplyDelete
  5. @CMash

    I'm following you as well. Your blog is lovely!

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio