Search Me!


Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Recipe Club by Andrea Israel and Nancy Garfinkel

The Recipe Club: A Novel About Food and Friendship Publisher: Harper Paperbacks
ISBN: 0061992291
Pages: 352 pgs
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge

 Summary from Publisher:

Loyalty, loss, and the ties that bind: These are the ingredients of The Recipe Club, a "novel cookbook" that combines an authentic story of friendship with more than eighty delicious recipes.

Lifelong friends Lilly and Val are united as much by their differences as by their similarities. In childhood, "LillyPad" and "ValPal" form an exclusive two-person club, writing intimate letters in which they share hopes, fears, deepest secrets . . . and recipes—from Lilly's "Lovelorn Lasagna" to Valerie's "Forgiveness Tapenade." The Recipe Club sustains Lilly and Val's bond across the decades: through the challenges of independence, the joys and heartbreaks of first love, and the emotional complexities of family relationships, identity, mortality, and goals deferred—until the fateful day when an act of kindness becomes an unforgivable betrayal.

 My Review:

I am a sucker for food books. Not necessarily cook books (unless it's a cupcake book) but books about food. Sometimes it leads me in strange directions...sometimes in a really good way and others this obsession leads me to read absolutely horrible literature. I was happy that this one was so good.

I loved both Val and Lilly. They were such great characters and I loved seeing their friendship develop through their letters. They each had such distinctive voices and both of their stories were so compelling. I loved watching them grow and mature both in their friendship and individually. I do have to admit that I spent the majority of the early chapters jealous of Lilly on Val's behalf. It always seemed like she was getting all the attention.

I loved the recipes. I have not gotten a chance to try any of them but I have marked some of them to try on family (I always test on those poor people first). I loved how the recipes were such a big part of the girls' friendship and life stories. They were scattered throughout the book and weaved their way into the correspondence between Lilly and Val. They were as much a part of the story as the letters that were telling the story. I also found that letters were a very effective way of storytelling. It usually doesn't work for me but it worked really well and only aided me in loving these two characters all the more.

I really loved this book. It was quite the charming read and I can't wait to try some of the recipes. 

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.

1 comment:

  1. This book sounds like a pure pleasure to read. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much! Thanks for being a part of the tour.



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio