Search Me!


Thursday, September 23, 2010

A Wild Light by Marjorie M. Liu

A Wild Light (Hunter Kiss, Book 3)Publisher: Ace
ISBN: 0441019013
Pages: 320 pgs
Genre: Romance/Paranormal/Demons
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge

Summary from Publisher:
For too long Maxine Kiss has felt an inexplicable darkness inside her-a force she channels into hunting the demons bent on destroying the human race. But when she finds herself covered in blood and crouched beside her grandfather's dead body with no memory of what happened, Maxine begins to fear that the darkness has finally consumed her.

My Review:
I am not completely opposed to jumping into a series at the middle or end. It just depends on how well it is done and if I can significantly figure out what has gone before and the relationships between the characters. It is different from series to series. Sometimes I can jump in and sometimes I can't. This was one of those that I couldn't.

I did like the the book. I thought the characters were engaging. I liked Maxine but I never felt that I made any sort of connection with her even though I wanted to. I thought she was interesting but I never felt that I got to know her on any deep level. I also liked the rest of the characters and want to get to know them better. I also loved Liu's writing style and storytelling. 

I felt that I was missing something important throughout the whole novel and because of that I could not get into the novel. I found myself trudging through it, trying to figure out what was going on. There was enough rehash of the previous books to catch me up but the rehash wasn't done in a manner that I found engaging. It wasn't necessarily boring but there was just so much of it that I became a bit disinterested after a while.

This was one of those books that I am on the fence about. I have the books on reserve at my library and will probably redo this review once I read them because I have a feeling that I will like this book much more.
*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Blog Template by In Between Design Studio