Search Me!


Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Art of Disappearing by Ivy Pochoda

The Art of Disappearing: A Novel
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Pages: 320 pgs
Genre: Fantasy
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge

Summary from Publisher:

How do you know if love is real or just an illusion?

When Mel Snow meets Toby Warring in a dusty roadside bar, she is instantly drawn to the brilliant magician who can pull roses from thin air and conjure castles out of desert sands. They marry two days later, and begin a life together in the shadow of Las Vegas, where Toby hopes to make it big. Mel knows that magicians are a dime a dozen, but Toby is different—his magic is real.

But as Toby’s renown grows and Mel falls more and more in love with his wonderments, she starts to realize that Toby's powers are as unstable as they are dazzling. She learns that he once made his assistant disappear completely, and couldn’t bring her back. And soon she begins to wonder if the love they share is genuine or merely a fantasy, conjured up by a lost magician looking to save himself from being alone.

Ivy Pochoda’s spellbinding and cinematic storytelling seamlessly fuses timeless magic to modern-day passion. Haunting and beautiful, The Art of Disappearing is an imaginative and captivating love story destined to enchant readers for years to come.

My Review:

First of all, I must apologize for this being a bit late. I have too many calendars that are not synced and when you make a mistake on one, you sometimes forget to look at the other (right) one.

I was rather amazed by this book. It was a departure from most of my reading material lately and it was a welcome one. Not that I don't love romance novels but sometimes, you are just not in the mood for them. I wanted something meatier and I definitely got it.

There were so many things I loved about this book. I must start with the most obvious. The writing was amazing. It was so descriptive. I love books that are heavy on the description. Pochoda really leaves you to wonder about nothing and I love that. It never gets overwhelming or anything of the sort.  Despite all of the description, it's a really quick read and you never feel bogged down or bored.

The romance and the fantasy aspects work so well together in The Art of Disappearing. They weave together seamlessly. I loved the magic in this book. I usually avoid books about magic bores me but the magic in this book was so different and dangerous. It wasn't wand waving and magic words. It was more realistic (if magic can, in fact be realistic). The romance is appealing in and of itself but when it combines with the fantasy element, it makes the book so much better. It also raises quite a few philosophic thoughts about the illusory nature of love and such.

If you are looking for a book like Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, this might be for you.

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Blog Template by In Between Design Studio