Search Me!


Monday, October 25, 2010

Elizabeth, Captive Princess by Margaret Irwin

Elizabeth, Captive Princess: Two Sisters, One ThronePublisher: Sourcebooks Landmark
ISBN: 1402229976
Pages: 352 pgs
Genre: Historical Fiction/England
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge

Summary from Publisher:
In July 1553, sibling rivalry looms perilous, even life-threatening, between the daughters of King Henry VIII. Their brother King Edward is dead, his successor Lady Jane Grey has been beheaded, and Queen Mary Tudor has just won possession of the throne. But her younger half sister-the beautiful and vivacious Princess Elizabeth-holds the hearts of the people. Despite Mary's health fading fast and her power beginning to crumble, she won't give up the throne, determined to rule to the absolute end as her father did before her. In these treacherous times, when all about her there is secrecy and deception, Elizabeth must rely on her faith and courage if she is to survive her ordeal and rise to fulfill her destiny. With grace and elegance, Margaret Irwin continues the story begun in Young Bess, giving readers an intimate peek into the world of that most enigmatic of Britain's monarchs.

My Review:
I normally gravitate toward historical fiction novels with at least some romance. It is very rare that I find one without romance that I like.

Usually the historical fiction that I read and like has some element if romance. It's just what I like. I like romance in almost everything I read. Very rarely do I like a book where there is no romantic storyline or a romantic storyline where the couple I like does not end up together. This is one of them. It has no romance and I still love it.

I love Queen Elizabeth. She is my favorite historical figure that was not known primarily for being an author or writer. From the moment I read her speech at Tilbury, I fell in love with her. I have, however, never found a book that portrayed her in the way that I wanted to see her portrayed as a strong woman and monarch. Usually I find that books tend to focus on romance with her. I was happy that this one didn't.

I did not expect to love this book so much because I am usually disappointed by the portrayal of my favorite historical figures in historical fiction. I found Irwin to have created an Elizabeth just as I had imagined her. Headstrong, brash, and charismatic. It was borderline perfect. I was so happy to find that this was part of a series. I will definitely be catching up.

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Blog Template by In Between Design Studio