Search Me!

Loading...

Monday, October 18, 2010

Highland Hellcat by Mary Wine


Highland HellcatPublisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
ISBN: 1402237383
Pages: 352 pgs
Genre: Romance/Highlander
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge
Rating: 


Summary from Publisher:

He wants a wife he can control...
Connor Lindsey is a Highland laird, but his clan's loyalty is hard won and he takes nothing for granted. He'll do whatever it takes to find a virtuous wife, even if he has to kidnap her...

She has a spirit that can't be tamed...
Brina Chattan has always defied convention. She sees no reason to be docile now that she's been captured by a powerful laird and taken to his storm-tossed castle in the Highlands, far from her home.

When a rival laird's interference nearly tears them apart, Connor discovers that a woman with a wild streak suits him much better than he'd ever imagined...


My Review:

I have been overloading on romances lately. I don't know why. Call it lack of social life. Mary Wine is one of my favorite Highlander romance writers, so, I was really looking forward to picking this one up. 

I really liked Brina. She was very stubborn and spunky. She never let Connor have an easy time of it which was totally smart. If a man abducted me intending to marry me, I would have given him quite the stress headache. She did get a bit obnoxious sometimes. Every time she mentioned going to the Abbey or obeying her father, I wanted to bash myself over the head with a blunt object. I understand that she was making her point to Connor but it got a bit repetitive. Connor was so charming. I think any woman worth her salt would have had trouble saying "No" to Connor. I kind of admire Brina's strength in saying no to him so often and so forcefully.

I only have one gripe. It's one of my biggest gripes about romance novels. It happens often when it shouldn't. The models on the cover look nothing like what Brina and Connor are supposed to look like. Both Brina and Connor are blonds while the models have brown hair. It seems petty but I have this unrealistic expectation for the cover to be a direct representation of the characters I will be reading about. With this one, they just did not fit at all. It does not take away from the enjoyment of the book at all but such a small little issue. It almost borders on the ridiculous. Almost like when I wouldn't read a romance with Fabio on the cover.

I love Highlander romances. Especially the ones about abduction and forced marriage.  Mary Wine is quickly becoming my favorite Highland romance writer. Her books are always well-written and full of historical detail. This one is no exception.

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio