Search Me!


Wednesday, October 13, 2010

In The Arms of Mr. Darcy by Sharon Lathan

In the Arms of Mr. Darcy (Pride & Prejudice Continues)
Publisher: Sourcebooks Landmark
Pages: 384 pgs
Genre: Jane Austen Sequel
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge

Summary from publisher:
If only everyone could be as happy as they are...
Darcy and Elizabeth are as much in love as ever-even more so as their relationship matures. Their passion inspires everyone around them, and as winter turns to spring, romance blossoms around them.
Confirmed bachelor Richard Fitzwilliam sets his sights on a seemingly unattainable, beautiful widow; Georgiana Darcy learns to flirt outrageously; the very flighty Kitty Bennet develops her first crush, and Caroline Bingley meets her match.
But the path of true love never does run smooth, and Elizabeth and Darcy are kept busy navigating their friends and loved ones through the inevitable separations, misunderstandings, misgivings, and lovers' quarrels to reach their own happily ever afters...

My Review:
One of the first books to be reviewed on Books Like Breathing was Mr. and Mrs. Fitzwilliam Darcy by Sharon Lathan. I was a bit iffy about it and, therefore, I was a bit worried about this one. Would it just be composed only of Mr. Darcy chasing Lizzy around Pemberley extolling her beauty and general awesomeness with some plot thrown in here and there? Don't get me wrong I liked the previous book but I was hoping for more substance with this one.

Well, I got my wish. In The Arms of Mr. Darcy was a great read. There was plenty of affection between Lizzy and Darcy but there was also plenty of plot. Lathan gave her versions of Lizzy and Darcy a chance to shine and develop. I loved seeing them as parents and Alexander was just adorable. Darcy as a parent was especially amazing. He was so affectionate and attentive to Alexander. I had to pause my reading and bask in the adorableness of father/son bonding quite often. Alexander comes in second only to Gregory from Marsha Altman's series as my favorite Darcy child and he hasn't even grown up yet.

The ancillary characters also got plenty of screentime. This was one of my favorite versions of Colonel Fitzwilliam. We very rarely get to see him as anything but Darcy's close relative, so, it was nice to get more from him. I did not, however, like who he ended up with. He belongs with Georgiana. Georgiana is always one of my favorite character. I love it when authors give her something to do other than being Darcy's meek younger sister. She was wise and willful in this one and I really appreciated that. I do ship Georgiana with Colonel Fitzwilliam, so, I was a bit disappointed but I can live with it.

I had no idea this was a part of a series when I read it and now I have the irrational urge to purchase the previous books even though I just went on a book binge. It never ends...

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.

1 comment:

  1. Greetings Grace,
    Thank you for a wonderful, honest review of my fourth novel. I am just today receiving word of it, so I do apologize for my delay in expressing my thanks. I appreciate you taking the time to read and write your thoughts to share with your visitors. Mostly I am happy you enjoyed yourself while reading my novel.

    If I may offer a bit of consolation regarding Georgiana: The novel I am currently writing is a story completely centered on her. I feel your pain as far as she and Col. Fitzwilliam since I toyed with keeping them together. However in my heart I knew there was someone else for her. Now I am giving them their own story! Hopefully you will be pleased with that one as well.

    Most sincerely, Sharon Lathan



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio