Search Me!


Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Lady of Hay by Barbara Erskine

Lady of Hay: Two Women, Eight Hundred Years, and the Destiny They SharePublisher: Sourcebooks Landmark
ISBN: 1402241186
Pages: 592 pgs
Genre: Historical Fiction/England
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge

Summary from Publisher:
Two Women, Eight Hundred Years, and the Destiny They Share

With a story as mesmerizing as it is chilling, Lady of Hay explores how Jo, a journalist investigating hypnotic regression, plunges into the life of Matilda, Lady of Hay-who lived eight hundred years earlier. As she learns of Matilda's unhappy marriage, her troubled love for Richard de Clare, and the brutal treatment she received from King John, it seems that Jo's past and present are hopelessly entwined. Centuries later, a story of secret passion and unspeakable treachery is about to begin again-and she has no choice but to brave both lives if she wants to shake the iron grip of history.

My Review:
Barbara Erskine is one of those authors that I have always wanted to try. I was a bit intimidated by the shear hugeness of her books. I was so excited to pick this one up (after a serious pep-talk).

I loved watching Jo explore her past life as Matilda. For some reason, one that is a complete mystery, I found myself far more interested in Jo's life than in Matilda's. Usually I love the historical storyline more than the contemporary one but with Lady of Hay it was the complete opposite. I thought her storyline with Nick was also really interesting. Although, how she was able to forgive him and consider a relationship with him, I will never understand. I mean he left her for another woman. How can you forgive that? I also thought Nick was a bit wishy-washy. I preferred his brother, Sam. He was a creepy and a bit frightening but he had character.

I love that past life regression plays such a huge role in Lady of Hay. It is something that has both interested me and frightened me to death. I've always wanted to give it a try but I am almost terrified to find out. I loved how Erskine transitioned between present day Jo and past life Matilda. It was done without awkward transitions or confusion. I also thought both storylines were very well-balanced. It was a concern when I first started reading that that the historical storyline would dominate the contemporary one but I found that, in general, the story was very well-balanced. I was completely fascinated by both time periods and leading ladies.

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Blog Template by In Between Design Studio