Search Me!


Monday, October 25, 2010

Mr. Darcy Takes the Plunge by J. Marie Croft

Mr. Darcy Takes the Plunge
Publisher: Rhemalda Publishing
ISBN: 098274370X
Pages: 344 pgs
Genre: Jane Austen Adaptation
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge

Summary from Publisher:
A pun-filled tale featuring Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice characters with some added or addled, missing or missish, modified or mortified, healthier, wealthier, or wiser. Impeccable comportment is mandatory in Regency England, a society governed by strict rules of conduct. The immaculate image of perfectionist Fitzwilliam Darcy is somewhat tarnished when he and his traveling companions arrive, hot and sweaty, at Pemberley and decide to take a fateful plunge into a scummy pond. An embarrassing encounter on the estate's lawn leaves a long-lasting impression on Jane and Elizabeth Bennet, who are new acquaintances of Georgiana and Anna Darcy. With both families in London for the Little Season, Darcy finds himself thrown again into the path of perky Elizabeth Bennet, but a handsome army officer just might blockade further advances. This romantic comedy is a lighthearted adaptation of Austen’s Pride and Prejudice, featuring a softer, sweeter, sillier side of Austen's beloved characters.

My Review:
Jane Austen adaptations are kinda my specialty, if you will. I have seen all kinds. Funny ones, romantic ones, dirty ones, paranormal ones. I have seen them all. But I have never come across a punny one before and I am kind of on the fence about it.

There were some aspects of Mr. Darcy Takes the Plunge that I liked quite a bit. I loved the way that Croft took over Austen's story and made it her own. She was completely on point with all of the changes she made to Jane Austen's story. Nothing she did took away from the story that I already love and she has provided me with one of the best Drunk Darcys that I have ever come across (second only to Marsha Altman's). I also loved that we first meet Darcy as he is emerging grungy and dirty from a manky pond. Quite the nice reference to the 1995 Pride and Prejudice.

I had only one issue with this book. It was too punny. I like puns in moderation. When there are too many puns it starts to get a little too ummm cute. It kind of reminded me of Sex and the City. Carrie's puns were funny at first but after a while, my teeth started grinding in annoyance whenever she started with the puns. It was the same here. It was funny at first but it got a bit tedious after a while. That doesn't mean that I didn't like it but sometimes less is more.

I never thought I would ever say "pun" so many times in a review (or in life). Ah... there's a first time for everything.

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Blog Template by In Between Design Studio