Search Me!


Monday, October 4, 2010

Up from the Blue by Susan Henderson

Up from the Blue: A NovelPublisher: Harper Paperbacks
ISBN: 0061984035
Pages: 336 pgs
Genre: Fiction
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge

Summary from Publisher:
Tillie Harris's life is in disarray—her husband is away on business, the boxes in her new home aren't unpacked, and the telephone isn't even connected yet. Though she's not due for another month, sudden labor pains force Tillie to reach out to her estranged father for help, a choice that means facing the painful memories she's been running from since she was a little girl.

An extraordinary debut from a talented new voice, Up from the Blue untangles the year in Tillie's life that changed everything: 1975, the year her mother disappeared.

My Review:
Oh what a night I have had! I tripped over a shoe, fell down a couple of steps, sprained my finger and got doped up on heavy duty Tylenol. So needless to say I am sorry this is a bit late. I am just happy I wrote it before my slapstick comedy episode.

Now on to the review....

There a very few times in my reading life where my mother and I have agreed about a book. Although with my new love for romance novels our tastes are getting much more similar. For some reason, my mother decided that she must read this one before me and she loved it. So I was surprised that when I read it, I loved it too.

Up from the Blue had some of the strongest and most vivid characters I have seen in a long time. Tillie was such a precocious and intelligent child. She was every bit the impulsive, inquisitive, pain in the butt that I was as a child. I definitely felt for her. Any child in her situation (and with a family like that) would feel a bit lost. Did no one in her family think that a child with Tillie's intelligence would notice that something was off? I mean children notice things and while I am not a parent, I have never understood parents' need to pretend their children are happy little idiots. I definitely felt bad for her father but wouldn't someone think that maybe his wife would be better served by medical care. He only served to rob his children of their mother, who possibly could have been helped by professional care, in the end. It also frustrated me that he was more concerned about appearances than the danger of having his wife, who is unstable and dangerous, in a house with his children.

I loved this book. The writing was lyrical and poetic even though the subject matter was quite sad. The prose was crafted so well that it was difficult not to get into the story. Tillie's voice is strong and vibrant as both a child and an adult. I do wish their had been more adult Tillie. I just liked her so much. I also want to know what happened to Phil. I identified with him so much as the older sibling having to protect his younger sister and getting frustrated because of it. This novel was so heart wrenching and sad but yet so hopeful at the same time. I recommend anyone who reads this to keep a tissue box within reach.

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.

1 comment:

  1. What a treat to read and enjoy a book with your mom! That doesn't happen to often to me and my mom, and that makes it even more special when it does.

    Thanks for being a part of this tour - I'm so glad you loved the book!



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio