Search Me!

Loading...

Friday, October 29, 2010

Wicked Company by Ciji Ware

Wicked Company Publisher: Sourcebooks Landmark
ISBN: 1402222718
Pages: 624 pgs
Genre: Romance
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge
Rating: 





Summary from publisher:

If Shakespeare had a sister...

In 18th century London the glamorous Drury Lane and Covent Garden theatres were all the rage, beckoning every young actor, actress, playwright, and performer with the lure of the stage lights. But competition and back-biting between theatre owners, patrons, actors, and writers left aspiring playwrights with their work stolen, profits withheld, and reputations on the line. For a female, things were harder still, as the chances of a "petticoat playwright" getting past the government censor was slim.

In this exciting and cutthroat world, a young woman with a skill for writing and an ambition to see her work performed could rise to glory, or could lose all in the blink of an eye...

In Ciji Ware's signature style, real-life characters of the day create a backdrop for a portrait of a glittering era, a love story, and a compelling glimpse into what life was like for a strong and independent-minded woman in an emphatically man's world.


My Review
I love Ciji Ware. Her books are always amazing. The are romantic and historically detailed while being entertaining. I loved Island of the Swans, adored A Cottage by the Sea and I was looking forward to this one.

I loved the heroine. Sophie was intelligent, creative and strong willed. I loved watching her journey as a playwright just as much as I loved watching her romantic journey. The main at Hunter was an interesting character on his own but I loved watching his journey with Sophie as they moved from friendship to romance.

I was a bit frustrated with this book at times. It seemed as if Sophie was a bad joojoo magnet. If bad things could happen, they would happen to her. I felt so bad for the girl. She could not catch a break. It did illustrate very well the plight of female playwrights but that doesn't mean it did not make me want to tear my hair out.

Ciji Ware is one of those rare authors who never has a misstep. Every book of hers is extremely well-written, historically detailed and well plotted. I have yet to come across a book of Ware's that I dislike. This was definitely not one of them. A Cottage by the Sea is still my favorite but this one is a very close second.  

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review. I'm adding this one to my TBR list.

    Jules

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio