Search Me!


Monday, November 29, 2010

Child of the Northern Spring by Persia Woolley

Child of the Northern Spring: Book One of the Guinevere Trilogy
Publisher: Sourcebooks Landmark
ISBN: 140224522X
Pages:  576 pgs
Genre: Historical Fiction/England
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge

Summary from Publisher:
Among the first to look at the story of Camelot through Guinevere's eyes, Woolley sets the traditional tale in the time of its origin, after Britain has shattered into warring fiefdoms. Hampered by neither fantasy nor medieval romance, this young Guinevere is a feisty Celtic tomboy who sees no reason why she must learn to speak Latin, wear dresses, and go south to marry that king. But legends being what they are, the story of Arthur's rise to power soon intrigues her, and when they finally meet, Guinevere and Arthur form a partnership that has lasted for 1500 years.

This is Arthurian epic at its best-filled with romance, adventure, authentic Dark Ages detail, and wonderfully human people.

My Review:
I am not the biggest fan of the Arthur legend. I dealt with it in various literature classes that I had to take in college. I had hoped that I would never have to see it again because “bored to tears” was not an exaggeration.  I keep trying to like it because there are so many amazing sounding books about the legend but I can’t make myself.  There are few exceptions to my dislike of Arthurian legend-based books and this may be one of them. 

I loved the depth that Woolley goes into about Guinevere’s life apart from Arthur. I always thought she was more interesting anyway. This is so much more her story than a story about Arthur and Guinevere. I loved that we got to know that feisty, intelligent person that Guinevere was. We usually see her as being defined by her relationship with Arthur but it was nice to learn about her on her own. 

There was also a depth to the historical research that was both impressive and mind-boggling.  You can really tell that Woolley knows her stuff. I love the detail and how everything is so true to the period. Every little detail was so spot on and it was very impressive.  You feel as if you are a part of it.  I am most definitely going to continue with this trilogy simply because of the historical detail alone (and the story is great of course)

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Blog Template by In Between Design Studio