Search Me!


Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Forever Queen by Helen Hollick

The Forever Queen Publisher: Sourcebooks Landmark
ISBN: 1402240686
Pages: 656 pgs
Genre: Historical Fiction/English
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge

 Summary From Publisher:
 What kind of woman becomes the wife of two kings, and the mother of two more?

Saxon England, 1002. Not only is Æthelred a failure as King, but his young bride, Emma of Normandy, soon discovers he is even worse as a husband. When the Danish Vikings, led by Swein Forkbeard and his son, Cnut, cause a maelstrom of chaos, Emma, as Queen, must take control if the Kingdom-and her crown-are to be salvaged. Smarter than history remembers, and stronger than the foreign invaders who threaten England's shores, Emma risks everything on a gamble that could either fulfill her ambitions and dreams or destroy her completely.

Emma, the Queen of Saxon England, comes to life through the exquisite writing of Helen Hollick, who shows in this epic tale how one of the most compelling and vivid heroines in English history stood tall through a turbulent fifty-year reign of proud determination, tragic despair, and triumph over treachery.

 My Review:
Sorry this is posted so late in the day. I had a dentist appointment at 10am. I did not realize that meant that I would be waiting 3 hours for a cleaning. Three hours!

Helen Hollick is one of my favorite historical fiction authors. I loved Pendragon's Banner and I still have The Kingmaking and The Shadow of the King on my TBR pile. I could not wait to start with this one.

This is not one of my favorite periods in history at all. In fact, I know rather little about it. I was a history major but I tended to avoid English history before the 1300s for some reason. I was a bit worried that my lack of knowledge would prevent me from enjoying The Forever Queen but I was so wrong. Helen Hollick is one of the best at getting you interested in a period of time and in historical character that you have never heard of before.

Helen Hollick is one of my favorite historical fiction authors. Her writing is crisp and well-researched. Her characters are also amazingly identifiable and likeable where with a lesser author they would be one dimensional and stiff.  I loved Emma. She was witty, spunky and brave. Helen Hollick was able to create an interest in an historical character where there was absolutely none before and that is an accomplishment in and of itself. I highly recommend The Forever Queen. It was one of the best historical fiction books that I have ever picked up.

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Blog Template by In Between Design Studio