Search Me!


Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Green Books Campaign: The Greatest Game by Todd Denault

This review is part of the Green Books campaign.Today 200 bloggers take a stand to support books printed in an eco-friendly manner by simultaneously publishing reviews of 200 books printed on recycled or FSC-certified paper. By turning a spotlight on books printed using eco- friendly paper, we hope to raise the awareness of book buyers and encourage everyone to take the environment into consideration when purchasing books.

The campaign is organized for the second time by Eco-Libris, a green company working to make reading more sustainable. We invite you to join the discussion on "green" books and support books printed in an eco-friendly manner! A full list of participating blogs and links to their reviews is available on Eco-Libris website.

The Greatest Game: The Montreal Canadiens, the Red Army, and the Night That Saved Hockey Publisher: McClelland & Stewart
ISBN: 077102634X
Pages: 336 pgs
Genre: Non-fiction/Hockey/Cold War
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge

Summary from publisher:
This game wasn't about money, points, or trophies. Instead it was played for pride, both personal and national. It was a confrontation twenty years in the making and it marked a turning point in the history of hockey.

On December 31, 1975, the Montreal Canadiens, the most successful franchise in the NHL, hosted the touring Central Red Army, the dominant team in the Soviet Union. For three hours millions of people in both Canada and the Soviet Union were glued to their television sets. What transpired that evening was a game that surpassed all the hype and was subsequently referred to as "the greatest game ever played." Held at the height of the Cold War, this remarkable contest transcended sports and took on serious cultural, sociological, and political overtones. And while the final result was a 3-3 tie, no one who saw the game was left disappointed. This exhibition of skill was hockey at its finest, and it set the bar for what was to follow as the sport began its global expansion.

My Review:
Let me begin by saying that I am a huge hockey fan. Huge. I have been a Devils fan since I was old enough to comprehend that the sport I was watching on TV was awesome--in other words, I have been rocking the Devil horns and black and red face paint since I was four years old. But that it not to say that I limit myself to Devils' memorabilia and happy moments, I love hockey all around and I love reading about the history of this great sport that I have loved for the majority of my life.

The game between the Montreal Canadiens and the Red Army on December 31, 1975 was one of the greatest games I have ever seen. It is one of the staple reruns on my DVD player (it's included on The Greatest Games in Montreal Candiens History DVD set). This game was a grudge match played for pride. I think that's why I love it so much. More than I even love any of the Devils championship games or the 1980 Olympic game.  The game itself ended in a 3-3 tie but it was one of the most amazing moments in sports and I wish I had been alive to see it happen live.

I loved this book. It was well researched and informative.  Denault was very detailed and thorough. This would be a great read for any hockey fan. If you are not a hockey fan, don't worry...The Greatest Game is just as much about the Cold War as it is about hockey. This book was one of the most gripping sports books I have ever picked up and I am going to be reading Todd Denault's Jacques Plante: The Man Who Changed the Face of Hockey.

 This book was made even more amazing because it was made using eco-friendly recycled paper. This reduces our carbon emission and makes Mama Earth happier and healthier.I am always looking for new ways to be more environmentally aware and purchasing eco-friendly books is one amazing way to reduce my carbon footprint.

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.


  1. sounds like an odd combination hockey and the cold war.

  2. @Serena

    Yeah it seems so but hockey and the Cold War have many connections from this game to the 1980 US vs Russia game. It's amazing how a simple hockey game can be so important and reflective of history.

  3. Il semble que vous soyez un expert dans ce domaine, vos remarques sont tres interessantes, merci.

    - Daniel



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio