Search Me!


Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Mermaid's Pendant by Leann Neal Reilly

The Mermaid's Pendant
Publisher: Zephon Books
ISBN: 0982687508
Pages: 586 pgs
Genre: Romance/Contemporary
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge

Summary from publisher:

Inspired by the beloved classic The Little Mermaid, THE MERMAID'S PENDANT is a modern fairy tale about growing up and discovering who you are -- and what you believe in. At times lyrical, this novel is a fantastic journey filled with magic, myth, romance, and adventure. Four years after John Wilkerson claims the mermaid Tamarind for his wife, they have an idyllic marriage that depends on a talisman that she crafted on their island paradise. But Tamarind learns a painful truth: it takes more than legs to live on land and more than magic to sustain a bond. When the talisman breaks, she and John are forced to rely on themselves instead of magic. Three wise women play key roles in the young lovers' journey to mature love. Ana, Tamarind's aging mentor, casts spells and performs seductions to keep the lovers apart. Valerie, an ex-pat jewelry maker cum fairy godmother, works her own magic to bring them together. Lucy, their widowed neighbor, grounds the couple in the realities of marriage, parenting, and family. THE MERMAID'S PENDANT is a story for anyone who has ever believed in the transforming power of love.

 My Review:
I had intended to have this review posted much earlier today. I woke up with a migraine and had to sleep it off...again...for the third time this week. I think it's the cloudy, drowsy weather. Now that I have sufficiently whined and whimpered my way into this review, I must actually review this book.

The Little Mermaid was my first Disney movie. I had Little Mermaid dolls, pajamas, notebooks, binders, and even a Halloween costume with a red wig. I have also spent my life fairly terrified of Ursula. Terrified. I am 25 years old and still have nightmares about that evil squid woman. I thought The Mermaid's Pendant was such a great interpretation of the Little Mermaid story that we all know and love.

I loved Tamarind. She was such a well-drawn character. I felt a connection with her from the start. John, on the other hand, was kind of a putz. It's not that I didn't like him but some of the choices he made were just so dunderheaded. I wanted to smack him most of the time. I also didn't buy into his chemistry with Tamarind at times. But I must say, that I didn't start to doubt them as a couple until the second part but I think that's the point of the book.

This book felt like two books bound into one huge, monolith of a book. Part One is Tamarind and John's meeting and falling in love and Part Two is the post marriage reality check. Really, Part One is the fairy tale and Part Two is the aftermath or at least that's how I interpreted it.  I loved them both for very different reason. Part One was sweet and refreshing and Part Two was almost bitter in tone with a much more wise Tamarind.

I sat up reading this book until 3am. That's how good it was (and probably the source of my migraine). If you like reimagined fairy tales, definitely pick this one up.

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.


  1. I had to laugh out loud at your statement that John is a dunderhead. That is great. I really enjoyed your review.

  2. I also really enjoyed your review and wasn't aware of what a Little Mermaid fan you used to be! Sounds like the book was a good match for you. Thanks for being on the tour!



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio