Search Me!


Thursday, December 9, 2010

Duchess of Sin by Laurel McKee

Duchess of Sin (Daughters of Erin)Publisher: Forever
ISBN: 0446544760
Pages: 384 pgs
Genre: Romance/Historical
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge

Summary From Publisher:
Blonde and beautiful Lady Anna Blacknall is in the mood for mischief. Entering Dublin's most notorious den of vice, she finds herself in the arms of a mysterious, emerald-eyed Irishman. And although he is masked, his tender kiss is hauntingly familiar.

Conlan McTeer, Duke of Adair, has come to Dublin to fight for a free Ireland. But he's suddenly reunited with the young Englishwoman who had once claimed his heart, and his passion turns from politics to pleasure. When their sizzling encounter brings danger to Anna's door, she must decide where her loyalties lie-and quickly. For someone will do whatever it takes to destroy Conlan . . . and anyone he dares to love.

My Review:
I have been in the doldrums lately. I’ve just been feeling “blah”. This usually happens right before Christmas. I become indecisive about what I want to read (really stressful), have terrible writer’s block (really annoying) and I become extremely tired ALL THE TIME. I’m in the middle of this now. It sucks. A good romance is always the failsafe for breaking me out of the doldrums. I was so excited to pick this one up and it worked.

I loved Anna. She is intelligent but not a know it all and brave but not foolhardy. She is a very well-balanced heroine. I appreciate them because you very rarely find a heroine that is not borderline superhero.  Conlan was the real highlight of this book. He was sort of a rake but he was generally likeable if not a bit bristly. The only issue I had with him was his “relationship” with Sarah, his cohort and sometimes lover. I wanted some resolution with that and I didn’t feel like I ever got it.

I loved this book to bits and pieces. I love the important role that Irish history played. It polarized all of the characters and created some amazing conflict. I was also enamored by the relationships of the other characters. Katherine and Nicholas were AMAZING. I love that Katherine was a bit of a cougar. It’s not something that you see often in romance novels but it works so well. I almost wanted more of them in the book and would love to read a book solely about them. I also loved Caroline and Grant.  I have to say that I loved them almost as much as I loved Conlan and Anna.  They had such amazing chemistry and I cannot wait for the next book. I will be stalking that one like a rabid fangirl.

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog. <


  1. I've read several different reviews about The Duchess of Sin as well as read several interviews with Laurel and I'm hooked and can't wait to read it myself.

    I find I often end up with a slightly different perspective of a book and it's probably because of my age (60's) and how a grew up (left home at 18 and worked and went to college on my own). I've been married for 41 years and althought my husband was a "rake" when we dated he mellowed over the years and the rake and lover are still there it has been the friend that's helped us get through those tough times.

    I think this is one aspect of a relationship that I look for in a romance novel. No matter the time period or the plot I feel it's the relationships and interactions that are the most important.



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio