Search Me!

Loading...

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Pemberley Ranch by Jack Caldwell

Pemberley Ranch  Publisher: Sourcebooks Landmark
ISBN: 1402241283
Pages:  384 pgs
Genre: Jane Austen Adaptation
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge
Rating:





Summary from Publisher:
When the smoke has cleared from the battlefields and the civil war has finally ended, fervent Union supporter Beth Bennet reluctantly moves with her family from their home in Meryton, Ohio, to the windswept plains of Rosings, Texas. Handsome, haughty Will Darcy, a Confederate officer back from the war, owns half the land around Rosings, and his even haughtier cousin, Cate Burroughs, owns the other half.

In a town as small as Rosings, Beth and Will inevitably cross paths. But as Will becomes enchanted with the fiery Yankee, Beth won't allow herself to warm to the man who represents the one thing she hates most: the army that killed her only brother.

But when carpetbagger George Whitehead arrives in Rosings, all that Beth thought to be true is turned on its head, and the only man who can save her home is the one she swore she'd never trust...

My Review:
I thought I had read every possible permutation of a Jane Austen adaptation possible. But like with most things, I was wrong. I had never thought that a western, post-Civil War, Pride and Prejudice would work at all but it did.

I loved Beth in this one. She was as witty and spunky as we would expect our Elizabeth Bennet to be. She was a bit more…shall we say…untamed. I also was completely into Confederate, war-scarred Darcy. I loved that he was even more of a hero in this one than he was in Pride and Prejudice. He actually went to battle for Beth which Jane's Darcy really never had to do. I did think that sometimes it seemed as if it was only Beth correcting her behavior and part of the charm of Pride and Prejudice is that both Lizzy and Darcy need some correction before they could be together.

I did feel at times that Caldwell was more interested in imparting a Civil War history lesson than telling Beth and Will's story. But being a historian, I loved it. Any book that has footnotes is a book that I will love. But generally, I thought that the writing was really good and Caldwell really had the Pride and Prejudice characters and story down and made it his own really convincingly.

This western version of Pride and Prejudice came together perfectly. The characters, the story and the romance from Pride and Prejudice melded well with a Western American environment and every little change that Jack Caldwell made only served to enhance an already amazing story. 

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.

1 comment:

  1. it sounds very interesting and the cover alone makes it a very attractive book.

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio