Search Me!

Loading...

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Prisoners in the Palace by Michaela MacColl

Prisoners in the Palace: How Princess Victoria became Queen with the Help of Her Maid, a Reporter, and a Scoundrel Publisher: Chronicle Books
ISBN: 0811873005
Pages:  368 pgs
Genre: Young Adult
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge
Rating:





Summary from Publisher:
London, 1838. Sixteen-year-old Liza's dreams of her society debut are dashed when her parents are killed in an accident. Penniless, she accepts the position of lady's maid to young Princess Victoria and steps unwittingly into the gossipy intrigue of the servant's world below-stairs as well as the trickery above. Is it possible that her changing circumstances may offer Liza the chance to determine her own fate, find true love, and secure the throne for her future queen?

Meticulously based on newly discovered information, this riveting novel is as rich in historical detail as Catherine, Called Birdy, and as sizzling with intrigue as The Luxe



 My Review
There are just some books that you can tell are going to be amazing from the moment you look at the book. This is one of them. I have never seen a more attractive book. Ever. The book jacket is gorgeous and the cover itself is beautiful as well. It's all black and silver and shiny.

The look of the book is not the only thing to recommend it, of course. Prisoners in the Palace is full of place intrigue, scandal and adventure. That's always good, isn't it? This was one of those books where I could not say that I knew what was coming. It kept me on the edge of my seat. I was also happy that romance played a role in this book but not a huge one.

The characters, both historical and fictional, were amazing. I loved Liza. She was brave and smart. She had quite a bit of moxie. I also loved how the historical characters were portrayed. Half the time I forgot that they were historical characters. I wanted to smack Queen Victoria and half of the other historical characters but still I loved the huge role they played. The use of historical document was also plentiful throughout which made the reformed historian in me do a exuberant happy dance.

This book was an unexpected gem. It's one of those that I am going to pass around and brag that I found it first.

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh, I think this has to be one od the best historical fictions I've ever read! I loved the two covers and really enjoyed the story...it wasn't boring like I find most historical novels. I just reviewed it on my blog too, amandarosetew.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio