Search Me!

Loading...

Monday, January 31, 2011

Review: The Girl in the Green Raincoat by Laura Lippman

The Girl in the Green Raincoat: A Tess Monaghan NovelPublisher: Avon A
ISBN: 006193836X
Pages: 176 pgs
Genre: Mystery
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge
 Rating:
 





Summary from Publisher:
In the third trimester of her pregnancy, Baltimore private investigator Tess Monaghan is under doctor's orders to remain immobile. Bored and restless, reduced to watching the world go by outside her window, she takes small comfort in the mundane events she observes . . . like the young woman in a green raincoat who walks her dog at the same time every day. Then one day the dog is running free and its owner is nowhere to be seen. Certain that something is terribly wrong, and incapable of leaving well enough alone, Tess is determined to get to the bottom of the dog walker's abrupt disappearance, even if she must do so from her own bedroom. But her inquisitiveness is about to fling open a dangerous Pandora's box of past crimes and troubling deaths . . . and she's not only putting her own life in jeopardy but also her unborn child's.

Previously serialized in the New York Times, and now published in book form for the very first time, The Girl in the Green Raincoat is a masterful Hitchcockian thriller from one of the very best in the business: multiple award-winner Laura Lippman.

My Review:
Many people don’t know this about me but I love Alfred Hitchcock. Almost to a fangirl type level. Rear Window is my absolute favorite. I have watched that movie innumerable times and it never got boring. I also love books and movies that take the plot and themes from Rear Window and make them new and great. The Girl in the Green Raincoat does exactly that and does it well.

I haven’t read any of the Tess Monaghan books so this was a bit of an introduction to the series for me. I usually avoid mysteries and novellas so I was not sure how much it would appeal to me. I found that there were so many things I loved about this book that it overcame the lack of knowledge and gripes about the genre or length.

I loved Tess. She was the type of heroine that I could read 10 books about her and not get bored at all. I did feel sometimes that I was missing something. I also loved the development of the mystery and the pacing of the plot. There were some points that I found myself kind of lost because I did not know what had happened in previous books. It did not take much away from my enjoyment of the book but it definitely made me want to pick up the previous books to fill myself in on what I had missed.

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.

2 comments:

  1. Nice review. I've seen this book mentioned on other blogs but yours is the first review I've read. I think I'll look for the previous books and then read this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know this is a book you can pick up without having read the rest of the series, and even better to know that you now want to read the other books! Thanks for being on this tour and for trying something outside your comfort zone - I'm so glad it turned out to be a good decision. :)

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio