Search Me!

Loading...

Monday, January 31, 2011

Review: The Perfect Bride For Mr. Darcy by Mary Lydon Simonsen

The Perfect Bride for Mr. Darcy
 Publisher: Sourcebooks Landmark
ISBN: 1402240252
Pages: 400 pgs
Genre: Jane Austen Adaptation
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge
Rating:





Summary from Publisher:
If the two of them weren't so stubborn...

It's obvious to Georgiana Darcy that the lovely Elizabeth Bennet is her brother's perfect match, but Darcy's pigheadedness and Elizabeth's wounded pride are going to keep them both from the loves of their lives.

Georgiana can't let that happen, so she readily agrees to help her accommodating cousin, Anne de Bourgh, do everything within their power to assure her beloved brother's happiness.

But the path of matchmaking never runs smoothly...


My Review:
Mary Lydon Simonsen is one of my favorite Jan Austen adaptation writers. I love Searching For Pemberley and I LOVED (capitals intended) Anne Elliot: A New Beginning. Simonsen always brings a new perspective and humor to the stories we already love.

Lizzy and Darcy were amazing as always but Georgiana and Anne were the stars of the book. I think they are some of the most mysterious in Pride an Prejudice. They never got the air time they deserved and I love seeing how each author interprets them. Simonsen did an amazing job of capturing them and giving them a wit, spunk and intelligence that we all know they have. I especially loved the matchmaking and manipulative Anne. The more adaptations I read, the more I love Anne.

There were so many things that I love about this book and that I love about all of Simonsen's adaptations. She is a master at the subtle shift in plot that change everything. The one thing that I did have a slight issue with is the major plot point of Darcy's previous lovers. I mean, I know he has them and he didn't enter his marriage with Lizzy a virgin but I don't want to read about them and I sure as sugar don't want to know their names. But then again, it's not a gripe at all just a reflection of my idealization of Mr. Darcy.

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.

4 comments:

  1. I'm working my through as many of the Pride and Prejudice sequels as I can, but as of yet have not read any of Mary L. Simonsen's books. I have noticed that she tends to get positive reviews, and that you've got one here.

    As for your comment about Mr. Darcy's previous lovers, I'm right there with you! When I read Linda Berdoll's sequels I was near screaming because of how she had things play out, with Georgiana especially. If you have not read her books yet I'd suggest you approach them with caution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Hannah

    Mary Simonsen is AMAZING. I highly recommend any Jane fan to check out her books (as well as Abigail Reynolds and Jane Odiwe).

    I haven't yet picked up Linda Berdoll's books although they have been sitting on my shelf. I will approach them with caution. I tend to get a bit protective over Georgiana and how she is portrayed.

    Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace, Thank you so much for your wonderful review. I'm showing my prejudice here, but there are certain reviews I wait with eager anticipation, and yours is one of them. So you can imagine how happy I was to see a five-star review from you. Thank you! Thanks you! Thank you! I hope to be back here in July with A Wife for Mr. Darcy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. I don't think I told you how much I like the new look of your blog. Two thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio