Search Me!

Loading...

Friday, January 21, 2011

Review: Sins of a Highland Devil by Sue Ellen Welfonder

Sins of a Highland Devil (Highland Warriors)Publisher: Forever
ISBN: 0446561789
Pages: 400 pgs
Genre: Romance/Historical/Scotland
Challenges- The Highlander Reading Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge, Historical Fiction Reading Challenge 2011, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge
 Rating:




Summary from Publisher:
The first book in the Highland Warriors trilogy, in which three heroes make a pact to insure that a rival clan does not take over their Glen of Many Legends. At the same time, three women plot to marry these heroes to insure peace.


In SINS OF A HIGHLAND DEVIL, James Cameron is concerned when the King's decree states all three neighboring clans must have a battle to the death in order to lay official claim to the scared Glen of Many Legends. James attempts to make a pact with the heads of the other clans to fight this decree. But he ends up fighting his own fierce desire when coming head-to-head with Lady Catriona of the opposing MacDonald clan, who has her own plan for peace.

My Review:
I’ve been sick lately. Reviews have been few and far between but I have been reading more than normal because being stuck in bed is boring. I find Highlander romances to be one of the best distractions when ill and this one definitely fit.

I loved Catriona. She was headstrong and intelligent. Perhaps most importantly she never became annoying at all which is something I find in some heroines in this genre. I also thought the scene after the battle was beautifully written. I liked James as well but I had trouble separating him from his name. Every time I saw his full name, I thought of the Titanic guy and it just didn’t work. I did think that he had some amazing chemistry with Catriona.

I really liked this book quite a bit. I loved the time period. It’s a Highlander novel but in a new time period for me.  It also has a historic richness to it that I really loved. I could tell that Welfonder knew her stuff. Perhaps my most favorite part was the animals. Both James and Alasdair’s aged dogs were so sweet and reminded me of my own aged dog who passed away a couple of years ago. I also have never shed tears over a book dedication but I did over Welfonder’s dedication to Big Boy.

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio