Search Me!

Loading...

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Review: The Bird House by Kelly Simmons

The Bird House: A Novel Publisher: Washington Square Press
ISBN: 1439160937
Pages: 288 pgs
Genre: Fiction/Family
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge

Rating:
Buy this Book: Amazon, Powell's, Indiebound





Summary from Publisher:
From the critically acclaimed author of Standing Still comes a psychologically charged novel about the power and failure of family.


My Review:
I have to admit that I was a bit worried about this one. I did not think that I would easily get into the point of view of a 70 year old woman. I tend to stick with narrators more in my age range so this was quite a departure but it did work out very well.

Despite my early misgivings about Ann, I loved her quite a bit. She was such a firecracker. She had me laughing at times. She had her secrets and her past but that’s what made her so compelling of a character. Ann’s recollections of the past were shockingly clear despite her memory loss. I also loved Ellie, her 8 year old granddaughter. She was such a charming and intelligent child. She asked questions of her grandmother in the way only a child could—with brutal honesty expecting a brutally honest answer.

This book shocked me. I became so deeply entrenched the characters and the story that I was completely shocked when the book ended. The past and the present weave together seamlessly through diary entries and Ann’s sharp voice is captured perfectly. Never once did I find myself more interested in one time period more than another because the voice was so consistent. I also love how the reveal of the past begins—with a simple school project and a granddaughter spending quality time with her grandmother.

This book will tug at your heartstrings with completely engrossing you in a mystery with strong characters and an even stronger plot. The writing is also spectacular.

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.

4 comments:

  1. I think I'd be leery for the same reason you were about a book told from the perspective of a senior citizen but it seems like the author really overcame that obstacle and created a character who is easy to identify with. Sounds like an intriguing read! Thanks for being on the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you liked it! I've heard from a number of YA readers who are also enjoying The Bird House --a lot of people seem to relate to the grandmother/granddaughter relationship. Happy to answer any questions people have!

    Kelly Simmons, author of The Bird House
    www.bykellysimmons.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! I'm about to start this for a tour spot on the 7th. I love the idea of it but your review just made me REALLY excited!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely LOVED this. I just finished it today and my book review is up for Wednesday. I seriously thought it was fantastic. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio