Search Me!


Thursday, February 10, 2011

Review: Born Under a Lucky Moon by Dana Precious

Born Under a Lucky Moon: A NovelPublisher: Avon A
ISBN: 0061876879
Pages: 432 pgs
Genre: Fiction
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge

Buy this Book: Amazon, Powell's, Indiebound

Summary from Publisher:
Born Under a Lucky Moon is the tale of two very important (but distant) years in the lives of Jeannie Thompson and her (embarrassing, crazy) colorful family members to whom "things" just seem to happen. From the Great Lakes of Michigan to Los Angeles and back again, it is a story of surprise marriages, a renegade granny, a sprinkler system cursed by the gods, and myriad other factors Jeannie blames for her full-tilt, out-of-control existence. But it's also about good surprises—like an unexpected proposal that might just open Jeannie's eyes to her real place among the people she loves most in the world . . . the same ones she ran far away from to begin with.

My Review:
I must begin by saying that I stayed up until 4am rereading this book causing the lateness in posting when I overslept. I had intended to read this book only once like normal but I couldn’t resist a second pleasure reading only pass through this book.

I identify with Jeannie. Her family is big and crazy. My family is small and crazy. I could understand why Jeannie was hesitant to introduce Aidan her family. Crazy families can be hard to take for a normal person. But what I couldn’t understand was her resistance to admitting that she was a part of the crazy. It’s the first step to accepting and getting over it---accept the crazy because you are a part of it.

There were definitely some things that I just could not identify with in Jeannie. She is ashamed of her family. I don’t care how crazy my family is, I still love them and proudly admit that they are my family even at their craziest.  She was a chronic workaholic and often neglected her relationship with Aidan and then seemed surprised when Aidan broke up with her. I was surprised when it didn’t happen sooner. But nevertheless, even though there were aspects of Jeannie that I could not fathom, like with our crazy families, I still loved her.

I fell in love with this book from the first page. The cast of supporting characters were colorful and interesting. The romance story was interesting and realistic. I also loved how balanced the story was between the past and the present…although I do have to admit that I gravitated more toward the present time period. Born Under a Lucky Moon was an incredibly enjoyable and fun read. It definitely sucks you in and keeps you interested even while you are cringing at the antics of Jeannie's family (and Jeannie herself).

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.


  1. It's rare that I get to the end of a book and want to start reading it again right away but is HAS happened and it is truly a treat. I'm so glad that this was that kind of book for you! Thanks so much for being a part of the tour. I hope your next read is just as good.

  2. Congratulations! I award you with a Stylish Blog award!

  3. Great review! I’m really excited to be working on this book, and just finished reading it myself. I loved it! It’s a really fun and heartwarming read that anyone from a crazy family can relate to (aren’t all families crazy in their own way?).

    For more information on Dana, and to read sample chapters and the prologue, you can go to the website at: You can also enter to win a copy of the book at

    Good luck! I hope everyone loves it as much as I did!

  4. I just read this, as well, and my review goes live on Monday. I actually preferred the past, so that's interesting to see you liked the present better!



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio