Search Me!


Friday, February 4, 2011

Review: How Sweet It Is by Sophie Gunn

How Sweet It isPublisher: Forever
ISBN: 0446561991
Pages: 416 pgs
Genre: Romance/Contemporary
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge, 2011 Contemporary Romance Reading Challenge

Buy this Book: Amazon, Powell's, Indiebound

Summary from Publisher:
Single mom Lizzie Bea Carpenter learned long ago that no white knight was coming to save her. A hardworking waitress at the local diner, she's raising her daughter to be like the independent women in her "Enemy Club"--high school rivals turned best friends, promising to always tell each other the whole truth and nothing but!

Yet part of Lizzie wishes she did have a man's help, just for small stuff, like fixing up the house. Her fairy godmother must have been listening, because Dante "Tay" Giovanni soon appears. He's sexy, kind, and offering assistance--no strings attached.

Slowly, steadily, Lizzie's heart opens. But the grip of the past is fierce, and nothing in life is ever really free. Tay has his own tragedies to overcome, but if he can, he'll fix more than Lizzie's home. He'll show her just how sweet it is to be loved by him.

My Review:
I was so excited for this book when I picked it up. I had a very bad day yesterday and I needed something to cheer me up or at least feel like not downing an entire freezer section of ice cream at the supermarket. Yes, it was that kind of day.

First of all, I very rarely love both main characters equally but I loved Lizzie and Tay with an intensity that surprised me. That doesn’t mean that I did not have my frustrations with them. I thought Lizzie was a bit stubborn but I couldn’t help but love her in spite of it. I loved Tay. I felt so bad for him. I don’t appreciate his terrible money management skills but he was such a kind and sweet character. He is constantly searching for redemption and forgiveness and you can’t help but feel for him.

The secondary characters added so much to the story (even though Annie and Candy did get on my nerves at times).  I also loved the Enemies Club. It’s an interesting idea. I can barely even comprehend being friends with someone I considered an enemy. Really. I can hold a grudge like nobody’s business. It’s a personal flaw and I admire their ability to get past their previous animosity.

How Sweet It Is successfully turned my impending ice cream binge into an all night readathon—very good. I highly recommend this one. It was the perfect mix of great writing, interesting characters and humor.

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.

1 comment:

  1. this really was a cute story and so much was packed in, in one book. Made for an very enjoyable read that was hard to put down.



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio