Search Me!

Loading...

Monday, February 28, 2011

Review: The Mistress' House by Leigh Michaels

The Mistress' House
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
ISBN: 1402241356
Pages: 320 pgs
Genre: Romance/Regency
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge, Historical Fiction Reading Challenge 2011
 Rating:  
 Buy this Book: Amazon, Powell's, Indiebound



Summary from publisher:
Three beautifully intertwined love stories...
The rules are made to be broken...
When the handsome, rakish Earl of Hawthorne buys the charming house across the back garden from his town home, he never expects the lovely lady he installs there to ensnare him completely...
Again...
After Lady Keighley marries the earl, it seems a shame to leave the house empty, so she offers it to her childhood friend Felicity Mercer, who discovers that the earl's gorgeous cousin is precisely the man she's been waiting for...
and again...
Finally, feisty Georgiana Baxter moves into the house to escape an arranged marriage, and encounters the earl's friend Major Julian Hampton late one night in the back garden. The handsome soldier is more than willing to give her the lessons she asks for...
There is plenty of gossip, scandal, and torrid speculations surrounding the "mistress' house", but behind closed doors, passions blaze...

My Review:

I normally don’t like short stories at all. I prefer epically long novels. It’s probably a remnant of the torture of reading those school-time short stories for reading class. They were terrible. I thought I was going to have a difficult time with this one because it was three novellas in one book but I was completely wrong.

Anne and the Earl of Hawthorne was the first couple to appear. They had such great chemistry and passion between them. I also liked how strong and self-possessed Anne was. The Earl was admittedly not my favorite type of hero. I prefer when the rakes are actually rakes but I liked him just the same. The next story focused on Felicity and Richard. I liked their story the best.  Their story was so heartbreaking. They had the best chemistry of all three couples. Their story was the only one that I wished was a full length novel. The final story was Georgiana and Julian’s. Georgiana was quite different from the other heroines. She was na├»ve and lacking in the confidence of the other two. I did love her romance with Julian though because Julian was the most rakish among the three heroes and the contrast between them was amazing.

I usually don’t like short stories or novellas because there usually isn’t much continuity between stories. I need that. I loved that each of these stories were related and each one flowed into the other. It worked really well. Although, I did miss watching the slow development of the relationship. It did seem a bit rushed at times but never so rushed that I could not enjoy the development of each story. I did catch myself wishing that each couple had their own full length novel at times. I will definitely be reading more from Leigh Michaels because if I like a series of novellas by an author I will definitely like anything else they write.

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio