Search Me!

Loading...

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Review: Moonface by Angela Balcita

Moonface: A True Romance (P.S.)Publisher: Harper Perennial
ISBN: 0061537314
Pages: 240 pgs
Genre: Memoir
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge
 Rating:




  

Summary from Publisher:
At the age of eighteen, Angela Balcita had reached a point in her life when her health could not keep up with her optimistic personality. After suffering kidney failure and after her body's rejection of the kidney her brother donated to her, she was in desperate need of a transplant.

Lucky for Angela, she had found the ultimate partner in crime: her boyfriend, Charlie. Although they had known each other for only a short period of time, Charlie offered Angela his kidney. The ensuing story is unforgettable, with readers following Angela and Charlie's journey through preparations for their respective surgeries; the procedures themselves, difficult yet emotionally riveting; the process of recuperation through the relapses; and the eventual healing—both inside and out—that greets this undeniably powerful duo.
Expanded from Angela's unforgettable "Modern Love" column in the New York Times and by turns funny, bittersweet, and heartwarming, Moonface will make readers laugh, cry, and, above all, appreciate the importance of unconditional love.

My Review:
I must say I am a bit iffy about memoirs. I always have been. I either really love them or I really loath them. There is no middle ground for me. This one definitely fell in the love area.

My first thought when starting this book was that Charlie must really be a saint or at least a really really amazing guy. I could barely get my college boyfriend to buy me dinner much less donate an organ. Their relationship was truly refreshing to read about and watching the progression of their relationship was at times more interesting than the transplant itself. It was one of those stories that you almost can’t believe is real.


I also usually avoid books with a medical premise but for some reason this one seemed very interesting to me. I enjoyed reading about the process of organ donation and it’s effect on the donor and recipient. Balcita doesn’t skimp on any details which I really appreciate. Especially with the aftermath of the transplant. The aftermath is often considered a postscript to the story but I love that it figured so prominently.

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about boyfriends ... this guy must have been amazing!!! The book sounds very inspiring but also very honest - like something I'd really enjoy reading.

    Thank for the review and for being on the tour!

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio