Search Me!

Loading...

Monday, February 28, 2011

Review: Moonstruck Madness by Laurie McBain

Moonstruck Madness
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
ISBN: 1402242433
Pages: 384 pgs
Genre: Romance/Historical
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge

Rating:
Buy this Book: Amazon, Powell's, Indiebound  




Summary from publisher:
She's one thing by day, something else altogether by night...

After  escaping the slaughter of her clan at a young age, Scottish noblewoman  Sabrina Verrick provides for her siblings by living a double life, until  the night she encounters the Duke, and her secret and all she holds  dear is threatened...

He's so disillusioned, he's completely vulnerable...

With  his inheritance at stake, Lucien, Duke of Camareigh, sets a trap for  the Scottish beauty with the piercing violet eyes, never imagining what  will happen when the trap is sprung...

As their lives become  irreversibly entangled, Lucien and Sabrina become each other's biggest  threat, as well as their only salvation...


My Review:
I read an older edition of Moonstruck Madness when I was younger (younger than I should admit). I absolutely love this type of romance novel. The hero is often far more brutish than he is rakish, the heroine is often strong-willed, and it is usually full of conflict. Call me crazy but I love it.

Sabrina is the only female Robin Hood type character that I have ever come across that did it so convincingly. She sometimes was a bit obnoxious, presumptuous, self-centered and stubborn but I couldn't help but like her. She carried the responsibility of her family's well-being on her shoulders and took care of them the best way she knew how. Lucien, on the other hand, was quite the rake. At times he seemed quite irredeemable and could be quite brutal to Sabrina. Still somehow, I found him to be one of the more interesting heroes that I have come across lately-the perfect mixture of good and bad.

I have always preferred 70’s and 80’s era romances over modern ones. I don’t know why. I like the angst and  the conflict. Some people think I’m strange for loving them but they were so popular because they were so good. As I said, I read this previously when I was much younger-my mother would be so upset if she knew how young-and I loved it then. I remember being more shocked by it then. Perhaps because of how young I was or maybe some of it was toned down in the editing process but either way it still worked for me.

I absolutely loved this book to the point where I stretched out the reading experience to make it last longer. We don’t get many of those and we must cherish those that we do get. Now don’t get me wrong, this one is not for everyone. The hero is not often sweet and gentle and you may want to suffocate the heroine with a fluffy pillow but you will not find a couple more exciting to read about and a romance so full of plot. I’m definitely going to rebuy all of Laurie McBain’s books. I’ve lost them all at some point.

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the   blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio