Search Me!

Loading...

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Review: To Tempt A Rake by Cara Elliott

To Tempt A Rake (Circle of Sin)
Publisher: Forever
ISBN: 0446541303
Pages: 384 pgs
Genre: Romance/Regency
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge, Historical Fiction Reading Challenge 2011
 Rating:  
 Buy this Book: Amazon, Powell's, Indiebound





Summary from Publisher;
Kate Woodbridge has spent most of her life sailing to exotic ports around the globe, acquiring an expertise in botany, along with a few less ladylike skills. So when a deathbed promise to her parents brings her to London to seek reconciliation with her grandfather, the imperious Duke of Cluyne, she feels like a fish out of water. Her outspoken views and fiery temper tend to set off sparks in Society-especially with the rakish Conte of Como.

A devil-may-care rogue, Marco finds the alluring and mysterious Kate a tempting target for his flirtations. But when murder strikes at the duke's country house party he begins to suspect that she's hiding a dark secret. He has his own clandestine reasons for offering to help her prove her innocence . . . And so begins a journey of dangerous deception that leads from England to the glittering ballrooms of Vienna, where Marco and Kate must duel with a deadly villain . . . and their own explosive attraction.

My Review:
This is my first foray into Cara Elliott’s books and this series. I have To Surrender To A Rogue on my shelf but just haven’t gotten around to reading it yet. I really must read it because this one was so good.

I loved Kate. She was definitely not your cookie cutter heroine. She was geeky and intelligent. She also had quite the past herself. Perhaps even more of a past than Marco. I also loved Marco simply because he was arrogant and over-confident. He was definitely a well-balanced hero. At times, he tripped my skeevy lecher alarm but then he did something utterly kind that I couldn’t help but like him. I love the cat and mouse thing that Kate and Marco had going on. It definitely kept me interested throughout the book.

The murder mystery aspect of To Tempt A Rake was perhaps the strongest aspect of the book-even though one of my favorite characters was the one the bit it. It worked so well with the romance and served not as a distracting subplot but as an impetus to progress in the relationship between Kate and Marco. I find that sometimes when there is a murder subplot in a romance novel it kind of takes over but I was pleased to see that this was was very well balanced.

I liked the majority of this book but there is one little thing that bothered me. Marco is a rake, right? We constantly hear how Kate is worried that he may be unfaithful but there is never any resolution to that.   I like it when there is a firm resolution with a conflict, argument or even a discussion resulting in the rake turning into a faithful husband. I’m a drama monger. I can’t help myself. But other than that minor issue, this book was an utter delight to read.

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio