Search Me!

Loading...

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Review: The Queen’s Lover by Vanora Bennett

The Queen's Lover: A NovelPublisher: Harper Paperbacks
ISBN: 0061689874
Pages: 624 pgs
Genre: Romance/Historical/English
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge

Rating:
Buy this Book: Amazon, Powell's, Indiebound




Summary from Publisher:
Catherine de Valois, daughter of the French king Charles VI, is born into troubled times. Though she is brought up in a royal court, it is a stormy and unstable environment. Before she is out of her teens, Catherine is married off to England's Henry V as part of a treaty honoring his victory over France. She is terrified at the idea of being married to a man who is a foreigner, an enemy, and a rough soldier, and is forced to leave her home for England.

Within two years she is widowed, and mother to the future King of England and France—even though her brother has laid claim to the French crown for himself. Caught between warring factions of her own family and under threat by the powerful lords of the English court, she must find a way to keep her infant son safe. In Owain Tudor, a childhood friend for whom Catherine has long had affection and who now controls the Royal household, Catherine finds both strength and kinship. As their friendship turns to love, however, she risks not only her life and that of her son but the uneasy balance of power in England and France that will be forever changed.

History comes alive in this lyrical and moving true story of one woman's courage and the inception of one of the most famous royal lineages of all time.

My Review:
Another sleepless night last night. Not because of the normal reasons but because I did not want to stop reading this book once I started. My habit of reading late at night usually results in unintentional all nighters. Much better than the all-nighters I did during college with all the studying and paper writing but still, it’s tiring.

I loved Catherine and Owain’s story. Their story was so interesting and engrossing. I loved their romance. However, I must say that my love of their story paled a little in comparison to my effusive joy over the inclusion of one of my favorite historical characters on the planet—Christina de Pizan. I did a happy dance when I saw her in this book. I was obsessed with her in college. I read her Treasure of the City of Ladies and the Book of the City of Ladies a million times. I loved her fictional portrayal and she was my favorite character in the book.

I am usually a stickler for historical detail in historical fiction novels. I am a reformed history major. I live for it. It brings back memories of hours and hours in the library just researching. The Queen’s Lover was not the most historically rich book I’ve ever read but it made up for it in entertainment. I loved this book and was definitely engrossed in the story from the first page.

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

1 comment:

  1. So did you have a book hangover the next morning? :) I love books that keep me turning the pages but at the same time I had how tired I am the next day.

    I'm so glad you enjoyed this one - thanks for being on the tour!

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio