Search Me!


Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Review: The Raising by Laura Kasischke

The Raising: A Novel (P.S.) Publisher: Harper Perennial
ISBN: 0062004786
Pages: 496 pgs
Genre: Fiction/Mystery/Thriller
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge,
Buy this Book: Amazon, Powell's, Indiebound

Summary from publisher:

Last year Godwin Honors Hall was draped in black. The university was mourning the loss of one of its own:

Nicole Werner, a blond, beautiful, straight-A sorority sister tragically killed in a car accident that left her boyfriend, who was driving, remarkably—some say suspiciously—unscathed.

Although a year has passed, as winter begins and the nights darken, obsession with Nicole and her death reignites: She was so pretty. So sweet-tempered. So innocent. Too young to die.

Unless she didn’t.

Because rumor has it that she’s back.

My Review:
I have never been the type of reader that likes murder mysteries. I actually tend to avoid them but I could not resist this one. The cover was beautiful and the story seemed wonderfully complex.

I usually avoid books where a mass of interwoven characters and storylines meld together and eventually make sense. I like my plots to have a more linear progression. Call it simplistic but I like to have one main protagonist to identify with and engaging supporting characters. I did find that this one worked for me. All of the characters were developed really well and I felt a connection to each of them.

The writing was one of the major highlights of this book. You can definitely tell that Kasischke is a poet. The language is absolutely beautiful and has a dreamy quality about it. I did like the mystery and psychological thriller aspect of it. I was genuinely interested in it. I initially thought it would be too complex with all of the characters but it really worked. I did feel that at times it was a bit predictable but I kind of like it that way. I don’t like surprises and I get angry when they happen to me.

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.


  1. Hi there. Just stopping by from the blog tour. !

  2. I'm glad you enjoyed this one even though it wasn't something you'd usually choose to pick up. And I know what you mean about surprises in books - I'm not a huge fan of them either. :)

    Thanks for being on the tour!

  3. It looks really good. I had never heard of this one, but I'll have to check it out. Great review.

  4. I know this is months after you wrote this review, but I decided to comment too :). I picked this up a few months back and decided to try something new. And it was definitely new lol. I felt it started kinda slow, and I was irritated by the main character's attitude, but the author is amazing. The way she was able to set and describe the scene was worth it. I was a little disappointed by the ending, but overall it was a good book :).

    I enjoy reading your blog by the way :)



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio