Search Me!


Monday, April 4, 2011

Musing Monday (April 4th)


When you were little did other children tease you about your reading habits?

I would love to be able to say no to that question—really I would. But the answer is a big fat yes. Other kids would bring toys to school, I would bring books. It did not exactly lend itself to me being a social child and, therefore, I was picked on quite a bit. Teachers also noticed and gave me accelerated reading lists—and, of course, the other kids noticed and did not like it very much. So yeah, I was picked on a little bit but I wouldn’t change it for the world. The books that I have read, the worlds that I have visited and the characters I have met in those books are worth the petty bullying that I had to deal with as a child. Granted, you wouldn’t catch me saying this back then but now, as an adult, I am happy I spent all of those hours reading instead of playing Dodgeball (vicious sport) in the playground. 


  1. That's such a great attitude to have, even now. If only more kids could realize they could travel time and space if they just picked up a book.

    Here's mine:

  2. no, I can't say that I remember being picked on. Of course, the nuns didn't put up with that sort of stuff then...

  3. Your blog is lovely! =) I'm sorry they picked on you for that. I did the same thing as a child..toted books around with me. :)

    Dodgeball was vicious wasn't it? :)

    Have a lovely day!
    Redd @ the Wyld Hollow

  4. @Cat

    Thanks! I wish kids would realize it. I was lucky I guess. My mother made sure I knew how fun reading was from an early age. When we were good, we went to the bookstore or the library.

  5. @caite

    We didn't have nuns even though I went to a Catholic school. I would have loved some though--they are tough chicks.

  6. @Redd

    Thank you! I still tote books around with me. So nothing has really changed. I even brought a couple with me to a funeral recently. Very bad of me.

    I still have nightmares about dodgeball. It's playground Darwinism. I went the way of the dodo.



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio