Search Me!


Thursday, April 28, 2011

Review: Husband and Wife by Leah Stewart

Husband and Wife: A Novel 
Publisher: Harper Paperbacks
ISBN: 9780061774478
Pages: 352 pgs
Genre: Fiction
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge


Buy this Book: Amazon, Powell's, Indiebound  


Summary from publisher:

Sarah Price has never regretted trading her MFA for a steady job so that her husband, Nathan, could write fiction. But at age thirty-five, her world is turned upside-down by a shocking revelation: Nathan's upcoming novel, Infidelity, is based on fact. Reeling from his betrayal, Sarah is plagued by dark questions. How well does she really know her husband? More important, how well does she know herself?

For answers, Sarah looks back to her artistic twentysomething self to try to understand what exactly has happened to her dreams. And so begins her quest to discover which version of herself is the essential one—the artist, wife, mother, or someone else entirely—an eye-opening journey that leads Sarah hundreds of miles away from her marriage and back to herself.
My Review:  

Infidelity in a novel is usually a deal breaker for me. I don’t like it in life and I don’t like it in my books. But this book just appealed to me for some reason.

I have no idea what I would do if I was in Sarah’s shoes and my husband had just confessed to cheating on me. It would probably involve a pair of kitchen shears, a shovel and some bleach. Sarah lost a bit of her self-esteem and self-worth with her husband’s infidelity but she still remained a good and strong mother. I admire her for that. But she does wallow a bit in self-pity where I would have just gotten angry. I also love how Nathan is not demonized. That’s not to say that he didn’t anger me. I mean you cheat on your wife because she is not the same as she used to be. Dude, people change, priorities change—grow up.

If you ever have the opportunity to pick up a Leah Stewart book…Do it! She’s an excellent writer and this book made me feel so much at once. Reading about Sarah and Nathan’s collapsing marriage was a bit uncomfortable, irritating and heartbreaking but I still could not put the book down until I was done. That’s saying something. I usually put the book down as soon as I start to get angry or irritated with the characters or the plot but I simply could not with this one. I was in it until the end.

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.


  1. I guess I'm a lot like you I do not like infidelity is novels, but your review makes me think that I should probably give this book a go!

  2. So even though this book dealt with a subject you can't stand to read about, you still devoured it right until the very end. That's a powerful recommendation if I ever heard one!

    I'm so glad you enjoyed this one. Thanks for being a part of the tour.



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio