Search Me!


Monday, April 4, 2011

Review: Only Mr. Darcy Will Do by Kara Louise

Only Mr. Darcy Will Do 
Publisher: Sourcebooks Landmark
ISBN: 1402241038
Pages: 368 pgs
Genre: Jane Austen Adaptation
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge


Buy this Book: Amazon, Powell's, Indiebound  


Summary from publisher:

In this fresh and original retelling of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, Mrs. Bennet's greatest fear comes to pass-Longbourn is entailed to Mr. Collins. Elizabeth finds work as a governess in London, widening the social divide between her and Mr. Darcy and making it more difficult than ever for them to find their way to each other...
My Review:  

I have been dying for a good Jane Austen sequel. I usually read one a month but it took me a bit to get to March’s. I have been wanting to read one of Kara Louise’s for a while and this one sounded so good.

I felt so bad for Lizzy. Throughout the book she had to be reminded of the life and the man she thought she lost. She also had to deal with the idea of another woman taking what should be her place in Darcy’s life. Darcy was amazing in this one. He remained completely devoted to Lizzy in spite of her situation. This was actually one of my favorite Darcys. I judge Jane Austen sequels based on how much more they make me love Darcy. This one made me love Darcy to levels higher than I thought possible. In fact, I had to watch Pride and Prejudice 1995 twice to quell the obsession. Now Rosalyn…I’m going to try to do this with a bit of tact...I hated Rosalyn from the moment she slithered herself onto the page. I had a moment or two where I thought maybe she wasn’t so evil but Lordy she was terrible. I'm not going to spoil.

There have been many Jane Austen adaptations where I have felt that the story was completely improbable or that Darcy/Lizzy would never do that. This was not one of them. This situation was completely possible. Lizzy is forced to work as a governess after her father’s death making her chances of reconnecting are slim to nil. It’s completely plausible. I was also surprised by how much the death of Mr. Bennet would change the story we all know and love. He is a relatively minor character in the book but, in his death, he becomes the catalyst for major changes in the lives of all of the Pride and Prejudice characters. 

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

1 comment:

  1. I read this one too and LOVED LOVED LOVED it!!




Blog Template by In Between Design Studio