Search Me!


Monday, April 25, 2011

Review: The Queen of New Beginnings by Erica James

The Queen of New Beginnings 
Publisher: Sourcebooks Landmark
ISBN: 9781402253164
Pages: 512 pgs
Genre: Fiction
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge


Buy this Book: Amazon, Powell's, Indiebound  

Summary from publisher:

Alice knows something about the freedom of reinvention-it makes those tough years in the past a little easier to bear. So when she meets Clayton, she understands why he wants to shrug off his old life. Their unlikely friendship seems stable-until Alice discovers Clayton has betrayed her in the worst possible way. With a gift for believable characters, Erica James deftly tackles infidelity, bereavement, and family breakdown, and her blend of sparkling wit and real emotional power has her poised to take over the States.
My Review:  

This was another book that I finished during my Dark Weekend of no computer. I didn’t even care about that wretched machine once I started this book. And I love my computer.

I really loved Alice. She was such a quick-witted and strong woman but she had this really sad backstory. She was also quite funny. I loved Alice’s incarnation as Katya. Katya had me in stitches. Clayton was the biggest “Aww shucks” hero I have ever come across. I’m usually into rakes and bad boy heroes so loving Clayton so much was a huge surprise for me. Even though he was generally a good guy, he still did manage to do something that made me want to hit him with a 2x4, so, it all worked out. Alice and Clayton had this really amazing chemistry together. They could be both funny and outrageously adorable and sweet at the same time. I also loved all of the secondary characters. I mean who couldn't love George? It would take a special kind of crazy person not to love that dotty old lady.

There is something about this book that is just bright and shiny and cheered me up in spite of the troubles of last week. I also love that this was just as much of a family drama as it is a romance. Both genres were very well done and balanced well. James also accomplished the very rare feat of creating amazing characters and having them all be likable-even Rufus.

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

1 comment:

  1. I am a big time "character" reader so immediately this book felt like it was going to be a great fit. And then I read your review... now I REALLY want to read this book! Great review, I'm glad you enjoyed the book so much.



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio