Search Me!


Thursday, May 26, 2011

Friday Events (May 27th)

Cupcake of the week: Banana Caramel Cupcakes

Reviews posted this week:

  1. The Beach Trees by Karen White
  2. The Truth About Mr. Darcy by Susan Adriani
  3. A Game of Character by Craig Robinson
This week's question is:  

Q. How many books do you read in a week? And in what format do you read them, or listen to them?

I read about 5-7 books on a normal week. I review as many as I can as soon as I can but I tend to develop a backlog. I usually prefer a good ol’ paperback but I also read e-books on the Sony Reader from Hades. I HATE audiobooks. I won’t touch ‘em. Alan Rickman could record my favorite book and personalize it for me and I still wouldn’t bother with it…I’m lying. If Alan Rickman personalized an audiobook for me, I might consider giving it a listen.

Book Blogger Hop

Q: "What book-to-movie adaption have you most liked?  Which have you disliked?"

The movie to book adaptation that I most loved was A Soldier’s Daughter Never Cries starring Kris Kristofferson, Barbara Hershey, and Leelee Sobieski. It’s based on Kaylie Jones’ novel. I loved both the book and the movie equally. It just edges out Pride and Prejudice (1995) and Anne of Green Gables (the first two—the third SUCKED).

I disliked Pride and Prejudice (2005). Intensely. I initially thought I would love it because I love Keira Knightley but I hated it. They took out all of the subtlety that I loved so much about the novel and the 1995 series. I mean Darcy’s proposal occuring outside, amongst some picturesque columns and such, in the rain. No, no, no. And that scene at the end of the film, added only to assure American audiences that they did in fact get married, was terrible.  I’ll stick with the 1995 version even though I have made a sort of peace with the 2005 version.


  1. If Alan Rickman records an audiobook for you and you decide not to listen to it can you send it my way please?!

  2. I don't like audio books either.
    I'm a new follower from FF.
    Here's my Follow Friday


  3. Hi and Happy Friday!

    Well done on 5-7 books. I am ebook fan & try to read between 3-5 books a week, depending on time & book size :)

    My FF is here,

    Have a nice weekend.

  4. I'm also not a fan of the 2005 Pride and Prejudice. the 1995 version with Colin Firth is just amazing and nothing could ever out do it.
    Have a good weekend.

  5. I also didn't really like the 2005 Pride and Prejudice. But I loved the 1995 version. Have a great weekend!

    Bookgirl @ My Book Addicton

  6. Hi, just stppong by for FF. Great answers, I didnt like Pride and Prejudice much myself.


    My FF:

  7. Ah HA I won't come within 10 feet of an audio book either!! My like the pages under my fingers. I only do eBooks when someone asks me to review an ARC that way;)

    Hoping through on the blog hop. Have a great weekend! Here's ours:)

  8. Hi, I'm an old follower stopping by to wish you a great weekend! Wow, 5-7 books in a week is crazy impressive!


  9. I totally agree with you about the 2005 Pride and Prejudice, I was really disappointed! And Anne of Green Gables, the third one ick. That is all I have to say lol and I own all three. I can't stand audio books! I've been trying to get into them but to no avail. They're just not in the same boat as me. Have a great Friday! ;)

    My FF

  10. Just hopping by, happy Friday.

  11. Never heard of this one-A Soldier’s Daughter Never Cries - I will have to see if the library has it.

  12. Let’s kick off Memorial Day Weekend with some scandal and controversy.

    I absolutely loved every minute of the Lord of the Rings films and felt they hit the mark when they brought Tolkien’s masterpiece to the big screen.
    (ducking as rotten tomatoes are thrown at me as the torches are lit and the pitchforks raised)

    Wait, wait. I can explain! Hop on over to my blog and hear me out –

    Howard A. Sherman, Implementor

  13. Hey!

    Hopping by from FF. Here's mine

    As for Alan Rickman, if he personally signed an audiobook for me i'd pass out. *dreams*

    Liking the blog.

    Amy@adumbrations (new follower)

  14. I didn't realize that they'd made a third Anne of Green Gables film. I love the first two, although I've never read the books so I don't know how close they are. I always wanted her to marry Morgan and forget about Gilbert. I know I'll probably be stoned for saying that, but that's all right.

    The new Pride and Prejudice *was* awful. I couldn't believe that final scene or how incredibly dead Mr. Darcy seemed throughout the entire thing.

  15. You are hilarious! Alan Rickman. You kill me.

    My least favorite P&P was the Winona Ryder version.

  16. @Sharon

    I think I would be an ebook fan if my Sony Reader wasn't so craptastic. Maybe I need to get a different reader to get the full experience.

  17. @Lauren B

    Yeah pretty much nothing can top Colin as Darcy. Maybe if Alan Rickman played him someday but until that happens...nope.

  18. @Darkfallen

    I try to read more ebooks without them being review books but the ebooks that I do complete usually end up being review books as well.

  19. @Loren Chase

    What were they thinking with that 3rd movie? They made Anne into Rilla and time-warped the whole damn thing. It made no sense whatsoever. I'll stick with the first two and leave the 3rd one to rot.

  20. @Joy

    It's amazing. It's one of my favorite movies. Leelee Sobieski was amazing in it.

  21. @Amy

    I would pass out, have a heart attack and ask him to call me a "dunderheaded girl" all at the same time. lol

  22. @gabrielreads

    Don't even bother with the third one. It was terrible.

    It's definitely okay that you don't like Anne with Gilbert. I'm used to getting stoned in similar situations--I like Bella with Jasper and I am very adamant about that.

  23. @gabrielreads

    Re Pride and Prejudice:

    I don't know why he was so dead eyed as Darcy. He's usually a very good actor. Maybe he just interpreted Darcy's haughtiness as constipation.

  24. @Madigan McGillicuddy

    Alan Rickman is my man crush. I would totally go May/December for him.



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio