Search Me!


Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Review: The Beach Trees by Karen White

The Beach Trees 
Publisher: NAL Trade
ISBN: 9780451233073
Pages: 432 pgs
Genre: Fiction
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge


Buy this Book: Amazon, Powell's, Indiebound  


 Summary from publisher:

The moving new novel from bestselling author Karen White.

From the time she was twelve, Julie Holt knew what a random tragedy can do to a family. At that tender age, her little sister disappeared-never to be found. It was a loss that slowly eroded the family bonds she once relied on. As an adult with a prestigious job in the arts, Julie meets a struggling artist who reminds her so much of her sister, she can't help feeling protective. It is a friendship that begins a long and painful process of healing for Julie, leading her to a house on the Gulf Coast, ravaged by hurricane Katrina, and to stories of family that take her deep into the past.
My Review:

I reviewed Karen White’s On Folly Beach and I loved it. It was a gold star review. I was hoping that The Beach Trees could live up to my love of that book. And it did.

First of all, I love the setting. I love books about the South, most specifically Mississippi and Louisiana. It’s one of my favorite locations for books. It adds so much color to the plot. Karen White is one of the the best at writing that specific area.  I also loved the characters. Julie was an amazing character in the present and Aimee was an amazing character in the past. I felt a connection to the both of them and loved both of their stories.

There were so many things that I loved about this book. Karen White is a master at creating a realistic setting. You really got the feel of post-Katrina Mississippi. I also loved how both Julie and Aimee’s point of views were done. I really felt like I got to know both characters. I also loved the mystery. It was really well-developed and so interesting. I literally couldn’t put the book down which is probably why this review is posting so late in the day. I stayed up late to finish and overslept, of course. 

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.


  1. This sounds like a wonderful book! I have never read any of Karen White's work but I think that either this book or on Folly Beach would be excellent books to start with!

  2. I'm thrilled that this book lived up to your expectation! Thanks so much for being a part of the tour.



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio