Search Me!


Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Review: The Hunchback of Neiman Marcus by Sonya Sones

The Hunchback of Neiman Marcus: A Novel About Marriage, Motherhood, and Mayhem 
Publisher: Harper Paperbacks
ISBN: 0062024671
Pages: 432 pgs
Genre: Fiction/Verse
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge


Buy this Book: Amazon, Powell's, Indiebound  


Summary from publisher:

My name is Holly.
This story is about me—
a writer who's way behind
on her deadline.

But, honestly,
how can I concentrate on my work
when my fiftieth birthday's
rushing at me like a freight train,

my hormones are making me feel
like a Szechuan flambÉ,
and my eighty-year-old mother's
biting her nurses?

Not to mention the fact that my daughter's
just begun applying to colleges
(none of which are within
a thousand-mile radius of home),

and lately my husband's been
such an irritating, finger-pointing stinker
that I've found myself dreaming of ways
to spend his insurance money . . .

My name is Holly.
This book
tells my story—
a coming-of-middle-age story.
My Review:  

I very rarely read any type of poetry voluntarily but I was so excited to start with this one.

I may have said this in other reviews but I really don’t like poetry at all. But there are exceptions to that rule, of course. Novels in verse is definitely one of them. I love when there is a consistent theme and the verse flows through that theme. In other words, I need a story. I’m just that type of reader. I loved how the story flowed through the verse in this one. There was a really great flow throughout the book and some of the verse was simply beautiful.

I really loved The Hunchback of Neiman Marcus not because I could really identify with Holly’s experiences but because I genuinely liked her. I think the verse gave me a much clearer view of her than prose would have…if that’s at all possible. This novel was also a very nice mix of sadness and humor. I found myself laugh/crying at times. I also loved that this was a quick read. Yeah yeah I know but quick but good reads are rare and awesome. 

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.


  1. I like the plot here but would hesitate to read a story in verse. You have peaked my interest.

    My Bookshelf

  2. I'm like you - I need a story in order to be interested in a poem. I'm so glad this one was one of those rare "quick but good reads" for you.

    Thanks for being on the tour!



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio