Search Me!


Monday, May 9, 2011

Review: Inés of My Soul by Isabel Allende

Ines of My Soul: A Novel 
 Publisher: Harper Perennial
ISBN: 0061161543
Pages: 352 pgs
Genre: Historical Fiction
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge


Buy this Book: Amazon, Powell's, Indiebound  


Summary from publisher:

In the early years of the conquest of the Americas, Inés Suárez, a seamstress condemned to a life of toil, flees Spain to seek adventure in the New World. As Inés makes her way to Chile, she begins a fiery romance with Pedro de Valdivia, war hero and field marshal to the famed Francisco Pizarro. Together the lovers will build the new city of Santiago, and they will wage war against the indigenous Chileans—a bloody struggle that will change Inés and Valdivia forever, inexorably pulling each of them toward separate destinies.

Inés of My Soul is a work of breathtaking scope that masterfully dramatizes the known events of Inés Suárez's life, crafting them into a novel rich with the narrative brilliance and passion readers have come to expect from Isabel Allende.
My Review:  

Pardon my lateness in this review. I have been battling food poisoning—all weekend. Not fun at all. Let me tell you.

I thought Daughter of Fortune was my favorite Allende book. I was sadly mistaken. I had not yet experience the magnificence that is Inés of My Soul.

I love that this one was based on a real person, Doña Inés Suárez. One who, of course, I have never heard of before but am interested in now. She was such a strong character. Her personality radiated from the page. I also loved the contradictions in her character-sounds strange to say but it’s true. She was extremely religious but also tolerated and participated in violence. I liked that for some strange reason. It made her real in a way that she wouldn’t be if there was nothing about her that annoyed me.

As always with Isabel Allende, the writing was excellent. But what really impressed me was the attention to historical detail.  I’m a huge fan of historical detail and we definitely get it in this one. There is a definite bias but that can be expected given the point of view we are given of the story. I also loved how we are told the story by an elderly Doña Inés. Some of my favorite historical fictions have been from the narrative viewpoint of the aging protagonist. I always find that so interesting because people have a very different view of their youth when elderly. 

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.


  1. This sounds like an absolutely beautiful story! I have never read any of Allende's work before, but I really think that I should.

  2. First off, I'm so glad you're feeling better! Food poisoning is NOT fun. :(

    Second, I'm thrilled that you loved this book. It was my first (and only so far) Allende and I really liked it too, especially knowing that it was based on a true story.

    Thanks for being on the tour!



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio