Search Me!

Loading...

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Review: The Lost Girls by Jennifer Baggett, Holly C. Corbett and Amanda Pressner

The Lost Girls: Three Friends. Four Continents. One Unconventional Detour Around the World. 

Publisher: Harper Paperbacks
ISBN: 0061689076
Pages: 560 pgs
Genre: Memoir/Travel
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge

Rating:

Buy this Book: Amazon, Powell's, Indiebound  

   


Summary from publisher:

With their thirtieth birthdays looming, Jen, Holly, and Amanda are feeling the pressure to hit certain milestones—score the big promotion, find a soul mate, have 2.2 kids. Instead, they make a pact to quit their jobs, leave behind everything familiar, and embark on a yearlong round-the-world search for inspiration and direction.

Traveling 60,000 miles across four continents, Jen, Holly, and Amanda push themselves far outside their comfort zones to embrace every adventure. Ultimately, theirs is a story of true friendship—a bond forged by sharing beds and backpacks, enduring exotic illnesses, trekking across mountains, and standing by one another through heartaches, whirlwind romances, and everything in the world in between.
 
My Review:  

I love travelogues and memoirs. I never travel…anywhere. The farthest I’ve ever been from New York is Philadelphia. Sad I know but that’s why I love reading about other people’s travel adventures…because I have none of my own. At least not yet.


I think I picked up this book at just about the perfect time in my life. I’m in my mid-20’s and completely clueless as to what I want to do in my life. Opening that bakery looks great but so does spending my life surrounded by books in a library. I loved that Jen, Holly and Amanda were at sort of the same place in their lives when they decided to take this trip. It's very rare I identify so much with a group of characters when they are doing something so far out of my comfort zone. But I definitely identified with these three women and I have to admit, I was a bit jealous. I loved how the book shifted point of view between Jen, Holly and Amanda. Each woman’s perception of the places they visited, the people they met and the things they learned was so different. It was so interesting to see those differences and I think it really added to the book.

I loved the memoir aspect of the book because all of the women’s experiences were quite enjoyable to read about. But as a travelogue it lacked a little depth of information. I wanted to feel like I had been to these places when I finished the book. I did feel like I had met the Jen, Amanda and Holly but I did not feel as if I knew the places. Overall, I was okay with that because, after a bit, I was more interested in Jen, Holly and Amanda’s stories than learning about the places they traveled to. I did love the length of this book. Some may find a 500 page travelogue a bit daunting but I loved it. I love huge books that I can zip through in a day and this was one of them. It doesn’t feel as if 500 pages have gone by once your are finished.  finished reading this book in a couple of hours and, let me tell you, it went by fast. 


*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

3 comments:

  1. This book has been on my radar for a while. You make a great point about it not being much of a travelogue but I think that I would be more interested in the girl's stories (as you became). Wonderful review, I am looking forward to reading this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you found the focus on the girls to be to your liking - the travel in this book does seem to be secondary to their personal journeys. At least, that's how I see it. :)

    Thanks for being on the tour. I hope the book inspires you to do some travel of your own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book kind of sounds like Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, but for grown-ups.

    Travel is definitely an amazing experience. One of the things I've found, if you travel a lot, is that you feel simultaneously connected and disconnected from everything. When something happens in a faraway place, if you've traveled there, lived there, and have friends there, it feels so much more important to you. But at the same time, if there's something going on where you currently live, it feels more distant... because you know you can always pick up and start over somewhere else, a possibility that's harder to imagine if you haven't moved around a lot.

    Just my perspective, as somebody who's lived in 27 different places in the last 9 years!

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio