Search Me!


Monday, May 30, 2011

Review: Love Drunk Cowboy by Carolyn Brown

Love Drunk Cowboy 
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
ISBN: 1402253583
Pages: 416 pgs
Genre: Romance/ Western
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge


Buy this Book: Amazon, Powell's, Indiebound  

  Summary from publisher:

She's a self-made city girl...

High-powered career woman Austin Lanier suddenly finds herself saddled with an inherited watermelon farm deep in the countryside. She's determined to sell the farm, until her new, drop-dead sexy neighbor Rye O'Donnell shows up...

He's as intoxicating as can be...

Rancher Rye O'Donnell thinks he's going to get a good deal on his dream property-until he meets the fiery new owner. Rye is knocked sideways when he realizes that not only is Granny Lanier's city-slicker granddaughter a savvy businesswoman, she's also sexy as hell...

Suddenly Rye is a whole lot less interested in real estate and a whole lot more focused on getting Austin to set aside her stiletto heels...
My Review:  

Cowboys are awesome. Almost as awesome as rogues, rakes and Highlanders. They are all rugged and weathered…Well, I’ve never met a real one but the imaginary ones are. And that’s good enough for me. I love books about cowboys almost as much as I love regencies and Highlander romances. And this one was one of the best cowboy books I’ve picked up in a very long time.

I do have to admit that while I love cowboys, I very rarely like the women they are paired with. They usually end up being either overly aggressive and brash or way too demure. I like a happy medium. Austin was definitely that happy medium. She was definitely tough but I did think she had a softer side to her. I did think she had a bit of the Mary Sue to her-not a lot only a little. She seemed almost too perfect. She picked up farming immediately and was able to ride a mechanical bull at full tilt without any quibbles. I don’t think she was a Mary Sue really but she did have some of the qualities. I loved Rye. Anyone named after rye whiskey is good in my opinion. He was a gentleman in the truest sense of the word. He was kind, gentle and a little rough around the edges. I also loved that he was friends with Austin’s Granny before he even met Austin. I thought that was just adorable. Austin and Rye also had such an amazing chemistry that it just elevated the book to a whole other level.

One thing I always love about Carolyn Brown’s books is the local color. The characters and locations are always so interesting and lively. This one was no different. I would love to live in a town like Terral. I also loved the old ladies. If I could be even a little bit as awesome as they are when I’m old, I will be very happy. They were spicy, they were spunky and they had a gossip phone tree that would rival any spy network. I loved them almost as much as I loved Austin and Rye. I do have to ask a question: is there really such a thing as watermelon wine and where can I get some? Because I can deal with berry wine but watermelon wine sounds just weird and slightly gross.

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Blog Template by In Between Design Studio