Search Me!

Loading...

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Review: Mocked By Destiny by Michele Richard

Mocked By Destiny (Mocked Series) 
Publisher: The Writer's Coffee Shop
ISBN: 1612130267
Pages: 354 pgs
Genre: Young Adult/Drama
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge

Rating:

Buy this Book:The Writer's Coffee Shop, Amazon, Powell's, Indiebound  

  

Summary from publisher:

 For Stella Richards, life in the charming town of Virginia Beach is not as magical as one would think. Sun, fun, and sand only guarantee one thing, unwanted visitors. Stella learned long ago to never befriend anyone visiting the beach. They’re here; then they’re gone, drifting in and out as the tide ebbs and flows. She vowed to never connect with anyone vacationing in Virgina Beach - until spring break. Stefan changed everything.

Stefan Sterling lives life never knowing where he will end up next. Bouncing from one Military base to another has hampered his ability to connect to those around him. That's what happens when your father is a high-ranking officer in the military. Raised in a world of discipline, control, and strangers, Stefan never expected to find anyone he'd want to be close to...let alone love.

A family curse verses a loving abnormality promises to keep Stella and Stefan on their toes. Was it an accident or could it be destiny? Will they be able to survive their families? And, is there ever a time when you can fully let go of the person who awoke your soul?

A story of love, sacrifice, and growing up before it's time.
 
My Review:  

I have been without internet since early this morning. As a matter of fact I am still without internet but I am writing this up to keep myself from losing my mind with rage at my ISP. Update—it came back and then went away again. ISP is hearing my rage voice right now. Update #2-It’s back for now. They told me the heat is the problem. It caused another yelling episode. Am I going to have to deal with this all summer?

Books about pregnancy are not appealing to me usually. Possibly because pregnancy is not something I have ever seen happening in my life—I’m not a kid friendly person. But for some reason, Mocked By Destiny just appealed to me and I couldn’t not read it.


I felt so bad for Stella. I couldn’t imagine being so strong in her shoes. I would have been a mess of panic and fright. She also just can’t seem to catch any luck. If anything could go wrong, it did go wrong for Stella. I found myself waiting for her next hardship. I did like her quite a bit even though it’s difficult to imagine myself in her shoes. I did have moments of frustration with her. She sometimes did not do what was necessary to maintain the health of her babies—like not following her diet when she was underweight. Who does that? Stefan was just a really good guy. He had a good head on his shoulders despite all reason for him not to—his parents. He lived up to his responsibilities to Stella and his children to the best of his abilities. I admire these two for sticking together even when all odds were against them.

I often find myself watching 16 and Pregnant during my lazy days of TV watching. I don’t like to admit that I watch but I do. I think that some of the couples should be made to read this book just to see how it should be done. I love how teen pregnancy was portrayed even though I’m not sure how realistic it was. Stella and Stefan acted more like an adult couple in spite of their ages. They had a maturity that I am not sure most teens in their situation would have. I don’t even think I would. Just the birth scene had me breathing in a paper bag.

Despite my misgivings, this was a really amazing and compelling book. Highly recommended.

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

1 comment:

  1. I truly love this book. I think it needs to be part of every high school's freshman year sex education program. If one girl or boy stops to think before they made a careless choice, Michele's time will have been well-spent writing it.

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio