Search Me!


Monday, May 30, 2011

Review: Mr. Darcy and the Secret of Becoming a Gentleman by Maria Hamilton

Mr. Darcy and the Secret of Becoming a Gentleman 
Publisher: Sourcebooks Landmark
ISBN: 1402244185
Pages: 464 pgs
Genre: Jane Austen Adaptation
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge


Buy this Book: Amazon, Powell's, Indiebound  


Summary from publisher:

When Elizabeth Bennet refuses his hand, Darcy is devastated and makes it his mission to change. By every civility in his power, Darcy slowly tries to win her affections, but Elizabeth is not easily swayed. Darcy vows to unlock the secrets that will make her his. He curses himself for his social awkwardness and appearance of pride, and sets out to right the wrongs he's done her family.

Elizabeth's family and friends misunderstand his intentions, and being in Elizabeth's presence proves to be both excruciating for the shy Darcy-and a dream come true. For the first time in his life, he must please a woman worth having, and the transformation leads him to a depth of understanding and love that he never could have imagined.
My Review:  

I am writing this review right now because I am procrastinating. I've been experimenting with a cupcake recipe all week and haven't gotten it right. I'm having a bit of baking brain freeze right now. So writing a review will help me think.

I am very used to reading Jane Austen sequels where it’s Lizzy who makes the big changes and comes to the realization about Darcy’s inherent goodness and her own pride and presumptions about him. I thought it was genius that Maria Hamilton did the reverse in this one. Darcy realizes the truth in Lizzy’s rejection as harsh as it was and endeavors to change. I also loved that it was not Darcy’s rescue of Lydia from Wickham that changed Lizzy’s perception of him but returning to Hertfordshire and playing matchmaker for Jane and Bingley. I always thought that that was his biggest offense and I was glad to see it take priority.

I loved that most of this book was from Darcy’s perspective. I am so used to seeing the Pride and Prejudice world through Lizzy’s eyes. I have only read a few where Darcy’s POV is the most prevalent and this is one of the better ones. The passion between Lizzy and Darcy was also really amazing. I sometimes feel that they can come across a bit cold in adaptations but most definitely not in this one. I loved Hamilton’s portrayal of most of the characters but I do have to admit that I did find Mr. Bennet to be quite annoying. That’s quite unusual because I really like him. On the other hand, Mrs. Bennet was one of my highlights. Her interactions with Darcy were roll on the floor hilarious.

I loved this book from start to finish. It was the perfect marriage of romance and humor. I can’t wait for Maria Hamilton’s next adaptation.

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

1 comment:

  1. I chose your blog for an award. Check it out on my blog.



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio