Search Me!

Loading...

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Review: Old Wounds by N. K. Smith

Old Wounds 
Publisher: The Writer's Coffee Shop
ISBN: 1612130046
Pages: 410 pgs
Genre: Young Adult
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge

Rating:
 
Buy this Book: The Writer's Coffee Shop, Amazon, Powell's, Indiebound  

   


Summary from publisher:

Sent to live with her estranged father, troubled seventeen year Sophia Young is biding her time until school is over and freedom is hers. But running from her painful past is not as easy as she was expecting, especially after meeting a kindred spirit in Elliott Dalton, the shy, withdrawn son of a prominent doctor. Sophie has a choice to make. Open up to Elliott and have a chance at happiness or continue to spiral down alone.
 
My Review:  

I’ve been reading this book for about a month. It’s not anything wrong with the book. It’s my darn e-reader. Every time I got into this book, the darn, demon possessed contraption crapped out. I am so happy that I finally got to finish this lovely book because it was amazing.

Can I tell you how much I loved Sophie? She was often brash, her language was terrible and she was more rebellious than I could ever dream of being. Her behavior also sometimes borders on the self-destructive. But I loved her. I wanted to lend her my mother for a week or two. Her story was heartbreaking and I could definitely understand why she acted the way she did. Elliot was much the same. I loved him with an intensity that surprised me. His story was just as heartbreaking as Sophie’s. He was such a vulnerable boy but he also had this amazing strength of character about him.

The relationship between Sophie and Elliot was one of my favorite parts of this book (of course). There was no way that these two characters, who have so much in common, would not gravitate towards each other. It was so believable and interesting to see them develop as characters both together and apart. I also loved that we got both Elliot’s and Sophie’s POVs. It really added a depth to both of their characters and their stories. My favorite part of the book is something very personal to me. Elliot suffered from a stutter. It is something that I dealt with well into high school. I never was bullied the way that Elliot was but every speech, every moment of participation in class was painful and I could definitely identify with Elliot in that. It was painful for me to read some portions of this book because I have lived it. I want to thank N.K. Smith for portraying stuttering as a true affliction and not something to laugh at.

I am really looking forward to the sequel, Little Battles. It’s loading on the Sony Reader from Hades as I type. 
*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

4 comments:

  1. Great review, I really enjoyed this book too. I just finished Little Battles (the next in the series, although I'm sure you know that) today and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also loved this book, it really affected me and I became much for invested in Sophie and Elliott than I thought I would!

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio