Search Me!

Loading...

Monday, May 9, 2011

Review: The Return of the Black Douglas by Elaine Coffman

The Return of Black Douglas 
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
ISBN: 9781402250743
Pages: 448 pgs
Genre: Romance/ Highlander/Time Travel
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge

Rating:

Buy this Book: Amazon, Powell's, Indiebound  




Summary from publisher:

He'll help a woman in need, no matter where she came from...

Alysandir Mackinnon rules his clan with a fair but iron fist. He has no time for softness or, as he sees it, weakness. But when he encounters a bewitching young beauty who may or may not be a dangerous spy, but is surely in mortal danger, he's compelled to help...

She's always wondered if she was born in the wrong time...

Thrown back in time to the tumultuous, dangerous Scottish Highlands of the sixteenth century, Isobella Douglas has a lot to learn about her ancestors, herself, and her place in the world. Especially when she encounters a Highland laird who puts modern men to shame...

Each one has secrets to keep, until they begin to strike a chord in each other's hearts that's never been touched before...
  
My Review:

I love it when I am proven right about a book purchase. Elaine Coffman’s backlist was one of my featured purchases from The Binge last week. I can’t wait to read the rest of them because this one was amazing.

Isobella was an amazing heroine. She never loses any of her strength or independence. She is also not transported to 1515 with complete knowledge of how to live in the 16th century. We see her adapt to the customs of the time period. What she did know about 16th Century Scotland, she knew because of her research and I really loved that. I often find that in time travel romances, the person transported is able to adapt to a new time period in 20 seconds but that was not so here. Alysandir was The Epic Highlander Hero. He was gruff, full of machismo and stubborn as a mule but he also had a very sweet and vulnerable side. I did have a bit of trouble with forgiving him for how he treated his son but I do think he redeemed himself. He may be one of my favorite Highlander heroes.


I am not usually a fan of time travel romances but I loved this one. I love the way that it was done and, even more, the Black Douglas’ presence was amazing. He was the hero in the previous book (that I ordered and still have not received). I have no idea what happens in The Bride of the Black Douglas but in this one, he reminds me of Peeves the Poltergeist. He had me hysterical every time he appeared. I also loved that both Isobella and Elisabeth were capable and intelligent women with the abilities to survive in a different time and place. I do want to read Elisabeth’s story. I was shipping her with Ronan throughout the book and I am curious as to how she did not end up with him.

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

1 comment:

  1. Hello I was wondering if you would like to be apart of my book tour team. its a new site and I need all the reviewers I can get. I hope you consider and have an amazing day!

    http://klearbooktours.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio